Sunday, June 11, 2006

Time continuum...

I'm heading into a couple weeks of vacation having given some thought to time recently. What a more precious and yet, utterly illusive reality is time? When we're young, we think we have so much of it. When we are old, we realize we have so little of it. Most of the time (pardon the pun), we live relatively unaware of it or controlled by it. Strange thing, isn't it?

For the past few years I've given some effort at trying to live relative to time (but that just gets me into hot water with people who are type "A" and expect everyone to be "on time"). I remember what the biblical author Peter once wrote regarding God and time... "But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: with the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you..." (2 Pet. 3:8-9). As much as I would enjoy it (I think) it is difficult to imagine living free from the constraint of time. What is "time" anyway?

I have a confession to make: I'm a bit of a watch enthusiast. I have several and my wife gave me a beautiful mahogany box to store most of them in this past Christmas. Truth be known, I could use a bigger box, because only the nicer ones have room to fit. I'd have many, many more than I do but finance always seems to come into play for watch people. Father's Day is on the way, so one can always hope (how tacky is that?). I'll watch those HSN shows and just gawk at watch after watch... ironically, not the best use of my time! But watches fascinate me... more for the metaphorical value and craftsmanship perhaps, than anything else.

One of my most prized watches is a 1947 Hamilton stem winder that was given to me following the death of my paternal grandfather. My step-grandmother asked if there was anything of his I would be interested in having in remembrance. I suggested a watch and the one I have is what she sent. I'd not seen it prior, nor do I have any recollection of his wearing it. It has a gold case and is classic round in styling.

It has some earthly value, but the sentimental value to me is priceless. We were not close. I only spent maybe less than six occasions with the man my entire life (geographic distance and being the only West Coast family made getting together difficult), but to wear his watch holds me close to him in memory. I wear it infrequently because I would hate to lose it. It is a powerful symbol for me.

A couple years ago, I lost a dear friend to cancer. In the wake of his first declared remission, his family gave him a pocket watch... because rather than a wrist watch, when he wanted to know what "time" it was, he would have to deliberately take it out of his pocket, open the watch and check the time. Joe told me each second was precious to him and the discipline of opening that watch was never a burden but rather a grace. I'll always remember Joe and that watch.

I'm out on vacation for the next couple weeks and I'm going to spend time meditating on the time I have -- however illusive it may be. I'll spend some great time with my wife and precious daughters... but I'll be looking for something more. Maybe this vacation will be less about "time off" and more about "time on." As time "marches on," I only pray I make the best of the time I have left.

Psalm 139:16... My God is bigger than time.

2 comments:

Liz Moore said...

Time is one of those things we never seem to have enough of, yet do we really spend our time wisely? I know this is a fault of mine. As people pass from your life and your children begin to grow up, you realize how valuable time is. My daughter Ashley will turn 20 this month and Jeremy is beginning his last 2 years of high school. I can remember the day they were both born like it was yesterday, yet so much time has past. I know I don't always make the best use of my time, as I see time passing before me through my children. I'm trying to change that. Time is one of the most precious gifts that God has given us. It must be precious to Him because he wants to give it to us infinitely when we go home to be with him. I pray my time while I'm here will be more preciously spent. Thanks for the reminder.

Greetings From Tucson said...

I spent some "time" penning a rather eloquent comment to your post on 'time'... unfortunately, the html demons snagged it at posting and it remains lost in cyberspace.
Psalm 90:12 Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.
Take some "time" to read the discography of Mark Schultz in his song "Time That is Left".
Enjoy the 86,400 seconds of today.