Monday, September 24, 2007

Birdsong



Most of my life I have enjoyed singing (though not always fond of the sound of my own voice) and it is rare there is not a song in my head and typically one can be found on my lips. And yet, in the past few years I have come to appreciate the voice of another member of the created community certainly more than my own.

In recent years, I have become more and more attuned to the countless sounds birds make. Birdsongs are fascinating artistic works if one will simply take the time to listen to them. (Hear a Nightingale here) Yesterday, while leaving our church campus following a great day of worship, Bible study, fellowship and food... I was stopped in my tracks by a wonderful sound of a particular bird. Once I spotted the beaked vocalist in the trees, I invited it to continue on in singing its songs... and the bird was quite kind in reply.

For several minutes I stood and listened to song after song (I was careful to quietly thank the performer at the end of each verse). I lost count at over a dozen different renderings or chirps, warps and chuckles. It was a most excellent concert and I likely would have applauded if I'd known it would not offend the bird and have it consider me trying to rid the area of its presence.

The event took me back to an account I once read of St. Francis of Assisi.

Many of the accounts surrounding the life of St Francis mention his particular appreciation for animals and creation. Perhaps the most famous account from his life expressing his love for nature is recounted in the 'Fioretti' (The Little Flowers), a collection of legends and folk-lore that sprang up after his death. It is told that one day while Francis was traveling with some companions they happened upon a place where birds filled the trees on either side of them. Francis told his companions to “wait for me while I go to preach to my sisters the birds.” The birds surrounded him, drawn by the power of his voice, and not one of them flew away. Francis spoke to them:

"My sister birds, you owe much to God, and you must always and in everyplace give praise to Him; for He has given you freedom to wing through the sky and He has clothed you…you neither sow nor reap, and yet God feeds you and gives you rivers and fountains for your thirst, and mountains and valleys for shelter, and tall trees for your nests. And although you neither know how to spin or weave, God dresses you and your children, for the Creator loves you greatly and He blesses you abundantly. Therefore… always seek to praise God."

While I didn't preach to this singular songbird, I did feel a sense of connectedness to all of Creation through the experience. After a great day with my Christian family, it seemed only appropriate to share some of our joy with the "birds of the field." They, in turn, were willing to share their gift with me.

I'm looking forward to another concert. In fact, I heard the chorus practicing today outside my office window and I know they will be well rehearsed for their next performance. As with my friend St. Francis, I will only ask that my birdsong friends always seek to praise God. For if they do, it will surely be a wonderful experience!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful 'Topher!! Birds are fascinating creatures and bring such pleasure to me. I only wish I could have seen you visiting with our feathered friends. They are magnificent and if you really listen they will always speak to you. Beautiful, thanks friend, it made my day.
kaki