Monday, October 15, 2007

Of Coffee Beans and Big Fish


From the moment my head hit the pillow, I was anticipating it. Rain already falling in the late watch of the night secured the promise of showers certain to greet the early risers. Drifting off to a restful sleep, I could already smell the steaming cup of Autumn Blend awaiting my arrival in only a few short hours.

Autumn Blend is a seasonal intermingling of “artisan roasted beans” that has captured my caffeinated attention this fall. A hearty brew with an earthy undertone of chestnut and rose petals, it is sympathetic with the changing of the seasons. Rich in color and body, its aroma is nearly as captivating as its taste. So “sacred” has this blend become to me in the past few weeks, I dare not cover a steaming cup with a lid! This coffee must breathe and be experienced by as many senses as appropriately possible. Drinking even one cup has become precious to me.

Eyes beginning to close, I could see myself sitting in my usual spot. Slipping silently from the last few conscious moments of this day, I anticipated beginning my next watching out the window as the early moments of dawn illuminate the falling rain droplets off the window canopy. The week would begin on a beautiful note with a wonderful "cup of joe."

Darting between drops as a thick band of showers entered the area, I could see from the parking lot that my preferred table was unoccupied. Claiming my turf, I ordered a toasted “power bagel” (with butter) and a medium cup. Receiving my change, I made my way to the coffee bar and soon witnessed the wheels rolling off the beginning of my idyllic week… where is the Autumn Blend?

Are you still brewing the Autumn Blend,” I ask inquiringly. “No, we’re out of Autumn Blend,” is the reply. “Out as in… ‘Out for the moment’, or...” I hopefully suggest. “No…out as in the distribution center has it back ordered and it will be several days or more before we have any available,” is the response from the cashier. “Oh... I see…” is my lament.

Funny how we become so conditioned by preference. Now on my third cup of Vanilla Hazelnut, I’m all the more convinced there is no better coffee for this season than my beloved Autumn Blend. “Why does it have to be this way?” I wonder to myself. “Don’t they realize how many lives are affected by the fact that some distribution clerk did not appropriately anticipate the demand? Didn’t anyone realize that I alone could personally account for a run on the season’s best coffee?” I finally concede as I pour that third cup of inferior java.

How appropriate my morning reading would include Jonah. Most are quite familiar with Jonah and the big fish incident but not as many recall Jonah and the whole vine thing. That incident in Jonah’s life doesn’t seem to get as much press coverage but is as telling about his general disposition as not wanting to go where God sent him.

After God and Jonah have their 3-day, 3-night “staff meeting” in the belly of the big fish, Jonah makes his way to Ninevah and proclaims the prophecy of the Lord – basically, “repent or die.” The people appropriately repent in sackcloth and ashes as Jonah waits east of the city to see if God is going to follow through on His promises. He does and Jonah is about as hacked about it as if his favorite coffee were missing from the coffee bar.

From his perch of perdition, Jonah is comforted by a quickly sprouting vine which shades his head from the heat of the day. As he becomes accustomed to its provided comfort, a worm attacks the vine and the plant dies as quickly as it grew. Jonah’s anger now grows beyond reason as God steps in to intervene.

You are so concerned for that plant even though you did nothing to make it grow. It appeared one day and the next day it died,” God said. And I find myself curious as to whether the clarity of his anger struck Jonah. "I know why I am angry," he must be assured. "But is it right?" has got to be a perplexing issue for him.

I wonder how many times I become upset about inconveniences to my life but have no invested effort in their existence or outcome. Do I complain over the rain when I’d prefer sunshine? Do I revisit anger over a frequently encountered pothole on my morning commute while I’ve done nothing to help maintain the roadway? Do I pout when my favorite blend of coffee is unavailable, yet there are plenty of others from which to choose?

So my week didn’t start out as envisioned, but I’m seeking a new perspective. How about you? Is there another way of looking at matters of inconvenience which are ultimately well beyond our control?

1 comment:

Liz Moore said...

I often get upset at inconveniences that are beyond anyone's control. Chris calls it road rage... and then adds you're not even on the road yet. Not flattering and something I am trying to change. Thanks for the great reminder. Have fun this weekend! We wish we were coming!