Monday, January 22, 2007

Little Friends


The older I become (sometime in the very near future I cross the threshold of "half way to 90"), the more I value friendship. Writing frequently about my need to improve my skills in being a friend, I've come to realize benefit in patiently investing in the lives of people both much older than me and much younger. One of my latest friends has a corner on the "much younger" market.

Nicknamed by his family as "Little Man," and aptly descriptive I would say because he is very much like a little man, he and I have really hit it off. I had the pleasure of being the very first to ever buy and feed him ice cream, a pleasure we have yet to determine by whom was enjoyed more, by me or by him (I've since been blessed to do it a second time and as soon as the weather heats up, we're going to plan on number three!).

Though only a few weeks beyond his first birthday, we already have a cool little friendship. Nearly everytime he sees me, he waves or gives me a little "high five." It is the coolest experience ever! I just get a ton of joy every time I see him and he already makes me long for the potential of grandkids (that is a tough line to cross, knowing you're old enough to officially qualify for "grandpadom"). The first time I hear him verbalize "Mr. Christopher" I may just melt quicker than the ice cream! What a day that will be!

Yesterday, Little Man was visiting in our offices and sharing lunch with his parents and a few others. After our usual greeting (wave and high five this time), I was privileged to hear him say the word "Cracker." This was the first word I've ever heard him speak other than the usual baby talk. Though it didn't sound exactly like "Cracker," it did sound like something else... which I proceeded to mimic, ill advisedly I might add. He quickly looked up at me as with a glance of confusion. His mom pronounced the word as it should be, I pronounced it the way I heard it. The dissonance was clearly seen on his face.

It was the glance he gave me with his little blue eyes that gave me pause. It seemed he was trying to figure out who to "imitate" -- the "ice cream guy" or my trusted mother. "Little Man" taught me a good lesson yesterday. Even at one year of age, he is watching and learning and... imitating. Mr. Christopher can offer him much more than merely the taste of ice cream. That is always a sobering point.

For a friend with whom I spend relatively so little time, I really can't afford to take any chances with compromised influence. So my resolution is simply this: to watch every opportunity for positive Christ-like influence and to be the very best friend possible. And... to buy him ice cream every opportunity I get!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Christopher. Just stopping by to say hello. Hope all is well in big D. We actually got a little snow here in Tucson Sunday evening - I think it was about an inch, maybe slightly over. It was very exciting and of course everything here shut down even though the roads were perfectly fine. Tell your family hi for me - love and miss you guys.