Thursday, May 24, 2007

Listening for Silence


There is an old adage that proclaims, "Silence is golden" and to a large extent I believe it.

Sitting in a movie theater and having to endure "whispering" on the part of conversational viewers sitting nearby is always such an irritation. Or in the same context, having some clueless person not only allow their cellphone to ring aloud, but to answer that same phone ought to be grounds for expulsion or worse. "Silence is golden" when one is on the receiving end of the noise. But what about on the other end? As the noise producer, when is silence "golden?"

Have you ever known someone who simply talks "too much?" It is one thing to be aware of someones propensity toward verbosity, but to be self-differentiated enough to know when one is speaking too much themselves is quite another thing. That takes some real discipline and self-awareness.

What is it that drives one to speak more than necessary? Too often it is a function of a person simply loving the sound of their own voice a little too much. A subtle function of pride allows us to believe our words are simply that important that we must be heard. And yet, some of the most wise and helpful communicators I have experienced in my life have been people who were humble enough to appreciate that "silence is golden." They speak only when necessary and have the compelling ability to allow me to "talk my way" through things without monopolizing the dialogue. The biblical author James once wrote, "My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry..." (James 1:19).

I'm trying to better listen for my own silence and hoping that an increased desire for the humility of Christ will result in my silence being "golden" for those around me as well.

"He was oppressed and afflicted,
yet he did not open his mouth;
he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,
and as a sheep before her shearer is silent,
so he did not open his mouth.
"
(Is. 53:7)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I talk too much because I believe I have "the answer." More recently, I'm realizing that not only do I not have the answers, many times I'm not even asking the right questions. So. . . I'm trying to learn to give fewer answers and instead, to focus on asking the right questions.