Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Robin's Egg Blue



Today as I left the driveway, I captured a glimpse of one of nature's wonders... a Robin's egg. The beauty of a Robin's egg rests in its unique color -- namely, Robin's Egg Blue. (I think even Ralph Lauren has a paint that will match it perfectly, if you are so inclined).

This half-egg shell was lying broken side down, forming a little symmetrical dome just outside the double-car garage door. Had my daughter parked the car in the garage last night, it would have been crushed to pieces during the morning rush. But instead, I was blessed to take in a brief moment of God's glory.

Though initially disappointed it was only half an egg, I quickly realized what this meant... there was some young Robin now on the loose (well, at least hatched) and ready to face the next phase of life. Mrs. Robin is likely still bringing home the Gerber's Baby Worms for Junior and the early days of flight lessons are still to come, but I quickly realized I should rejoice that I'd only found half an egg. I wish the mom and her newborn all the best.

Sometimes life is fragile enough that we might think it nothing more strong than a mere shell. We take our shot, we get cracked and then wonder what life will be like after we try and pick up all the pieces. Though initially disappointed, the hope of faith is that there may be more good ahead -- even when it feels like we're all to pieces.

When we get our shell cracked, it is good to just hang out in the nest for a while and try to get over the initial trauma. The light is bright, we might feel a bit chilly, too. We may be a bit hungry and just wish someone else would take over for a while. But we must always remember we have comfort close by and eventually we're going to venture out and learn to fly (either truly for the first time, or we're going to fly better than we ever did before).

More than a matter of perspective, I believe this is a function of true reality when we have true authentic relationship with the Creator. Creator is mightier than any one of us, any group of us, and any... thing (quite frankly) that can stand between us and rare beauty.

I'm thankful I saw the egg this morning... it is a good reminder that things aren't always as they appear.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post you got here. I'd like to read something more concerning that topic. Thnx for sharing this information.
Sexy Lady
Girls for companionship in London