Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A Natural Disaster



It certainly seems the longer I live, the fewer answers I have and the more questions I'm asking. Some of the events of the past week have generated no exception to this rule. I have questions...

Some 250,000 people lost their lives in the Myanmar (Burma) Typhoon just under a week ago and just a of couple days ago another 15,000 + (the death toll is still rising and could easily reach 30,000) lost their lives in a 7.9 magnitude earthquake in China. That is nearly 300,000 lives wiped off the face of the planet by two "natural" disasters in a matter of only a few minutes. As I continue watching and listening to news reports of the devastation and the difficulty of getting aid into those areas, I wonder about how "natural" it all this devastation really is.

Perhaps it is the "natural" part I take issue with the most. Of course, we understand the terminology to mean events attributed to "acts of nature" that are beyond human control. Sometimes they are referred to as "acts of God." And while God acting in this manner may awkwardly fit into our theologies (or God allowing these things to occur which has always challenged my understanding -- though I try to accept it with faith) it is another angle of the whole "natural" disaster concept that bothers me most.

Why do we as fellow human beings consider these "natural disasters" to be "natural", until they happen to us? Then, it seems, our consideration changes...

I was conversing with one individual about these two disasters recently and they were not even aware of either one of the above mentioned disasters. When I reacted with alarmed surprise, the person simply cast off my alarm with a shrug and the lite comment, "I don't watch the news too much." Realizing this might be a single isolated case, it still gave me pause to wonder about our understanding of "natural disasters." Something about that particular type of response seems all too "natural" to me. It is just strikingly too "natural" for disasters to be "natural" as long as they aren't in my backyard!

How human beings (especially in this day and age of global communication) can miss this kind of global information is disturbing to begin with. Should we not be even more increasingly aware of the greater world community in which we live? Because of the benefit of global communication, shouldn't we be better informed rather than less? Shouldn't our hearts be more strained by the graphic images of another nation's plight when we can view them in High Definition in our own "media rooms?" Something is wrong when we miss this kind of news and it is "un-natural" to not be moved in some way by it.

I believe that if something of similar magnitude occurred in the USA, we would not hear the end of it for months or maybe even years to come. The world news media would be consumed with the story! As a people, we would likely demand the world recognize that what is a "natural disaster" is quite "un-natural" from our point of view! Perhaps we would demand such attention simply because it happened to us (though I would not endorse such a thing)!

A case in point would be the coverage of Hurricane Katrina in 2005. At least 1,836 people lost their lives in Hurricane Katrina and in the subsequent floods, making it the deadliest U.S. hurricane since the 1928 Okeechobee Hurricane. Katrina was estimated to have been responsible for $81.2 billion in damage, making it the costliest natural disaster in U.S. history. To this day, when people speak of Katrina, there is a pall over the conversation. We are still in shock and admittedly scratch our heads over the devastation, but something still feels "un-natural" about it all, doesn't it? That may be because we have trouble dealing with it happening to us. But do we have the same concern for others?

What has struck me the past few days is that the near 300,000 people of Myanmar (Burma) and Sichuan, China who perished in those "natural disasters" are real people with real lives just like the nearly 2,000 people lost in Katrina and some of us don't even know about it! If there is anything that should be "un-natural" about any of these disasters, it should be that! The world is a really big place but we can know about these things!

When I think of what those people must be going through, my heart sickens and my spirit falls.
I believe I once comforted my own mind with the thought of "natural disasters" simply as being "natural." "Well..." I thought to myself, "these things happen. It is a thing of nature." Now... I'm having difficulty taking it so "naturally." Again... I have far more questions than I have answers!

I also used to hide behind the ignorance of these circumstances being in a "land far away." But the global media puts them into our living rooms. How can we "naturally" ignore such a thing?

Though I once reasoned it was an act of "nature" or "God" this time I'm finding less comfort in the thought. I still accept the essence of the disasters as being "natural." But what I am sensing is that my response must become increasingly more "un-natural." For the past days I have found myself feeling quite miserably inept at what I might do to even begin to address the pain the survivors of those two "natural disasters" are experiencing. What can one man do? But I feel something at a deep level that is either "un-natural" for me or perhaps is quite "natural" for all human beings. Again... more questions... what shall I do?

There may be some merit to simply acknowledging another's suffering and praying for their comfort. Yet, I feel there is more that can be done and I'm wondering for a way of expressing it. For now, I continue to pray and allow myself in some microscopic manner to feel "un-natural" about their "natural disaster."

We are one world. Mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers... each one is special and requires equal concern and care regardless of whether someone else knows about it or not. For now, I simply pray... God bless us, one and all, naturally.

4 comments:

Sarah Mae said...

Well, from my perspective, it sure makes me want to get out there and share the truth and love of Christ. If we do not, then what hope do these people have? None. He is the only hope, in life and in death...for eternity.

Anonymous said...

This topic fascinates me, Chris.

It seems to me that we often ask the wrong questions. We wonder "why" would God do and/or allow such things, and lean toward a philisophical discussion of the event. But how do these questions fit our IDENTITY? Isn't this a bit like a doctor in an emergency room asking why his patient would drink and drive?

We're God's servants ... His hands and feet and brains. We're His ambassadors, and co-workers. Our question shouldn't be 'why,' but 'how much'? How much can I give - help - serve?

Your observation that we SHOULD be aware of these things is excellent, but it stops short.

On the road to Jericho a man was robbed, beaten, and left for dead. A priest and a "Christian" pastor passed by, and when they arrived at their destination - a conference for Christian unity, they philosophized about how to help people in need.

Then there was a right-wing Church of Christ guy ... so far to the right that he was annoying, and he stopped and delivered health care, food, clothing, and the Good News to the people of Myanmar.

Which one proved to be a disciple of Jesus, and a neighbor to the people of Myanmar?

Wanna help? See this web page:
www.partnersinprogress.org

by the way, I'm not connected with PIP - just an old friend of yours and smart aleck.

Christopher Green said...

Anonymous,

I appreciate your comment and it does provoke me in a good manner. At times, it seems we all (even collectively) pacify the call of Christ to serve others by mere acknowledgment of needs rather than really acting to the need on behalf of Christ.

Another interesting point to consider is which need to respond to and how is it we discern our response. Prayer seems to be an important element of not only knowing what to do, but when to do it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking my criticism in stride.

As for deciding which need to respond to, I believe it's like the parable of the talents. One makes an "investment" in the thing that he suspects will bring our Father the best return. That's not to say we're looking for the most baptisms for the dollar, but the most glory to God for each of our assets (time, talent, money, etc.). So long as one doesn't bury talents in the ground, but instead continuously seeks the best 'investments,' surely our Father will bless us.