Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Working At Rest

Recently I’ve concluded that for most of us, rest isn’t easy. While I have fantasies of being reclined in a hammock tied between two palm trees with a gentle ocean breeze blowing across my body after a morning surf session and snacking on some open-fire-baked fresh fish (with a twist of lime squeezed over them) and something cold to drink, that vision is certainly far from my reality. Collapsing on a living room couch after a 12 -15 hour day, slamming a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, falling asleep to ESPN Sportscenter, then awaking to the sense (and smell) of my dog’s breath on my face is much too often closer to my current reality if the truth be told.

It is no secret most North Americans at life speed not too terribly far from “light speed.” Most live “run and gun offense” schedules and get quite defensive when anyone even begins to question or criticize their pace of life. We find a sense of twisted honor in electronic calendars that allow us to book our time into 15 minute (or less) intervals. Scheduling time can be as addictive as the latest popular street drug. There appears to be some certain sadistic satisfaction in "squeezing" someone into our tight schedules.

Can we get together?” we’re asked. “I don’t know, let me check my schedule,” is the response. It is as if the schedule takes precedent (and is thus more important) than the relationship being sought.

As I think more about it, relationship may be a critical key to rest. The spouse who observes “We never have time for each other,” offers a powerful commentary on the quality of the relationship. As the two drift off to sleep, they know something is missing, but what will they do about it? Truth is, they don't have time for each other because they never make time for each other.

The seventh day of Creation was different from all the others. On the seventh day, the Creator chose to rest from the work of creating. There was an intentional “break in the action” and God rested. Not because He had to (it is difficult to conceive of the Omnipotent needing rest), but because He chose to rest. That day was deemed “blessed” and “holy” (Gen. 2:3) because on that day He rested. There is something “blessed” and “holy” about resting. Making time to take time is likely next to godliness.

The blessings of rest are not merely physical, either. There is something spiritually and emotionally restorative about making time to rest. But I’ve concluded rest isn’t easy. While too often we “rest” (physically) so that we can get back to work, perhaps we need to consider “working so that we can rest.” Maybe that was the whole point of the previous six days of creation? Maybe the Creator was establishing an environment in which He could rest and reside with His creation? The Creator worked Himself into the perfect place to rest! What a great concept!

We work hard at being busy and keeping tight schedules. Observing creation (even after all these years of human use (and abuse) it is clear the Creator worked hard at making everything, but He “worked” it into the opportunity to rest. Rest was significant enough for Him that He called it “blessed” and “holy.” Falling asleep on the couch with the taste of PBJ still in my mouth is likely not the quality of rest I should be seeking.

Well, I’ve got to get back to work, now. But I am resolved to “work harder at resting.” If you can find some time in your schedule, would you like to rest with me? Let's see if we can work it out! I may have some time on Friday...

1 comment:

Sarah Mae said...

I gave a talk on "finding true, life-giving rest" once. "Rest" seems more and more distant. Maybe I'll blog about what I've learned about rest sometime...