Monday, May 01, 2006

If Stones Cried Out...


The setting is known as "triumphal" as Jesus approaches the city of Jerusalem on the back of a never before ridden colt. From this moment on, it will look anything but "triumphal" from the vantage point of most followers of Christ. It won't be long and the Passion of the Christ will be in full swing. The mocking, the derision, the insulting, the spitting, the hitting, the scourging, the crucifying... it is not long now and many of these followers will be scattered and flee into hiding. Who will be praising then?

Approaching the place where the road goes down to the Mount of Olives, the crowds lining the edges of the narrow streets spread their cloaks on the ground and begin joyfully praising God for all the miracles they had seen. "Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord! Peace in heaven and glory in the highest" (Luke 19:28-44).

Indignation gripping a few Pharisees demands a stop to this alledged blasphemy and dishonor... "Teacher, rebuke your disciples!" they demand of the Lord. "I tell you," he replied, "if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out."

My imagination always plays with this moment in the earthly presence of Jesus. It is a classic "what if" scenario... What if, the followers of Jesus had remained quiet or, if for some reason, Jesus heeded the recommendation of the antagonist Pharisees... What audible sound would crying stones make, anyway? I was once near a relatively small avalanche. It made an impressive noise. Being a native of So. California and a life-long surfer, I'm deeply familiar with the sounds of waves (even big ones) crashing on the shore. I have witnessed a mudslide or two and even once observed a rock slide... but I've never heard a stone cry out! Would it be a horrible sound? Brittle and low... a basso more than a baritone or tenor? (Would it be a "male" sound at all? Although as dense as we men are at times, it is difficult for me to conceive of a feminine stone, save perhaps a beautifully cut diamond). Would the sound be comprehensible praise or in a materiel language only other rocks would comprehend? I just wonder...

A recent occasion was less than "triumphal" for me and the other three in my foursome. Playing in a golf tournament in East Texas, we couldn't sink scoring putts to save our lives. At the turn we were lagging well behind most teams with little to no reasonable chance of catching the leaders. It would not be a "triumphal" entry into the club house for us.. Giving way to our certain scoring demise... I began taking in the beautiful surroundings somewhat at the expense of my competitive focus.

The morning rain showers had already given way to rays of sun and gentle breezes. During lunch period inbetween rounds the wind picked up turning the day into a blustery challenge and robbing us distance on all shots except for the occasional tailwind added stroke. It was then... on the 14th fairway, I began to really take notice of the sounds... the applause of nature was all around us.

Good natured shame and anticipatory derisive chiding forthcoming (losing against your peers is never fun... even when joyously acknowledging we had a great time -- which we did!) quickly began to give way to the "praise" of nature. Squirrels squeaking as they chased one another around the beds of leaves under the magnificent canopy of trees; Wind whistling through branches and leaves still heavy with moisture from the rain singing a steady chorus; Water droplets falling from the highest branches drumming softly on the moist ground below played a glorious symphony around us. Hawks, crows, robins and even a beautiful male cardinal all offered their verses of melodious praise to what was already being played. What a magnificent ensemble I thought to myself! All things in nature seemed to be in concert with one another. All building to a definitive crescendo in my own heart and soul. The moment became transcendent as I realized the limitations of my ability to perceive. There was praise transpiring at the insect level and at the micro level too that I could not even perceive and yet it was all working together in one melodious tune. Simply amazing!

Turning my eyes skyward to follow a well struck 7-iron, the clouds then captivated my attention. Could they be dancing before the Lord, I wondered to myself? What an interpretive dance of the 'music' being crafted around us. For me, it was gloriously superlative to even my best shot of the day -- a 300+ yard drive (I believe the wind was at our backs for that one).

Simultaneously, I was overcome. I simply had to stop and attempt to take it all in. Was this substitutionary praise for what the rocks would be doing were no one else available to offer it? I wondered to myself... then I spontaneously shared a few thoughts with my playing partners... Frankly, I'm not sure how they took it, but by now my heart and mind were substantially beyond golf. Though it did not seem to hurt my game any (that may offer a critical commentary on the status of my game).

How good it is... when nature declares the praises of the Lord! How sweet when we, as human beings and part of that creation, have the opportunity to witness such magnificent praise and actually join in it!

I encourage you to take time and listen... listen and observe the birds, the trees, the wind, even the clouds... all created by the Lord Himself. Each are capable of their own brand of praise. We will do well to not only observe it, but join in and participate with it. I shall join them... still wondering and waiting for the role the rocks will play. I'll be listening for the sound of the stones crying out. But if we continue offering praise to our Triumphant, I may be waiting quite a while to hear the stones cry out and ultimately, that will be just fine with me.

No comments: