Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Moving to the edge

Having been in ministry for over 20 years, I've not only lost count of how many "whatevers" I've done (sermons, Bible classes, retreats, weddings, etc.) but, quite frankly, I've grow weary of even trying to remember. Frankly, I've come to realize that those kinds of numbers don't really matter much.

After 20 years, experience informs us that the designations of "accomplishment" aren't nearly as compelling as the matters of "significance." The question that starts bearing down on the second half of ministry is not "what will I do next?" but "will I make a difference by what I do next?" The second-half question of ministry gets even more provocative when one considers "is what I'm doing now making a difference?"

There is a tempting illusion that "the next big thing is just around the corner," when in reality we aren't promised tomorrow and, generally speaking, today has enough trouble of its own. The question I should always be mindful of is "am I living it right, right now?" Is my life making a difference today? Jesus talked of being "salt" and "light" and being a "city set on a hill." All those things make a difference in the moment, in the right now. There is a sense of urgency in His words.

It is so easy and a temptation of the flesh to get into ruts or patterns and become nothing more than a ministry "mill" of function and activity. It is tempting to fall into the trap of satisfying people's needs rather than intensifying their hunger to know God and realize what it means to be known by Him.

After over 20 years of ministry, I'm asking God to move me out to the edge of true Jesus-type effectiveness. It is easy to "know the ropes" and do what you know is successful. But to "move to the edge" and seek being truly significant is a whole different thing to ask of the Lord and of yourself.

The "edge" is where you (as a Christ-servant or even an entire church) are less concerned about how much you receive from your calling, and care much more about what is given by your own surrender to God's plan.

Moving to the edge may mean saying "no" to a few things, including being in the center of attention. In His ministry on the earth, Jesus was God made flesh. Yet He didn't consider His "God-ness" (divinity) something which was His by right. He took the servant's role and changed the world. He moved from His divine position and went out to the edge of humanity -- and His move to the edge changed eternity!

Lord, if you are willing, move us to the edge and give us the faith to serve there.

1 comment:

Liz Moore said...

I agree with you. Moving out onto the edge is sometimes scary because it moves us out of our comfort zone. But God didn't call us to be comfortable, He called us to be obedient. Another question I try to ask myself is, is what I'm doing glorifying God rather than man. Thanks for some great thoughts.