Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Has it been enough?

Sitting in front of my office window is a beautiful three foot tall Corn Plant that was part of a collection of gifts my wife gave me to celebrate our 20th anniversary earlier this month. Each gift she gave was an expression of love and a variation on a consistent theme she crafted... "2o years has not been enough..."

Each gift carried tremendous sentimental and poetic value to me, most of which I won't share here. But since arriving in my office, "Mr. Corn Plant" (so called I believe, because the stalks of beautiful green leaves resemble corn stalks -- see picture below) seems quite content and has already shown some growth. I hope we have a long and prosperous relationship together (I have a Golden Pathos that is nearly 10 years old). I water him when his soil is dry to the touch and have placed him in the "perfect" indirect sunlight. I think we're off to a good start!

This is the first plant my wife has ever given me and each time I see it, it brings her quickly into my heart and mind. It is my favorite plant, ever! Still sitting beside this potted plant is the basic card which came attached to it... it simply reads... "20 years has not been enough..."

Each day I realize how much this saying is true. Our time together as husband and wife has gone so quickly. We've shared both really great times and some real challenges along the way. Now it seems each day is such an amazing gift and we both want to live it to the fullest potential. I realize more and more that, for us together, 20 years really isn't enough. We both want so much more!

I was talking with a sweet couple in our church this past Sunday. In a short while, they will celebrate their 60th anniversary! Three times as long as my wife and I have been married! As I talked with them, I observed they are still having as much fun as they did 60 years ago -- maybe even more! What a great example they are to us for the power of matrimonial love!

Today I've been thinking about my relationship with my God as a "bride" of Christ (Rev. 19:7). When He created me and saw to it that I'd take my first breath, He knew exactly how many days I'd be around this planet (Ps. 139:16). I have wondered about how much time I have left. He knows, I don't. He has placed me at this point of history for a specific purpose and has associated me with an incredible group of ministers who collectively dream of changing the world! I am blessed beyond my ability to express -- I am simply humbled to even be alive, let alone serve with such incredible people.

I've had a nagging thought today... "Is 44 years enough... or is there more?" Our church buried a 17 year old young man last week who lived his faith in a special way. Attending the funeral, I wrestled with the thought... "Was 17 years enough?" His death was accidental in a car crash in which his flesh simply couldn't survive. I have to conclude that for him, 17 years was enough. What determines "enough" anyway?

I'm realizing more and more these days that I have to live my life at "full-throttle" for God. Full-throttle can get me in trouble on my motorcycle, but it can only be blessed in my relationship with God and with my family and friends. There have been many things in my life that have kept the throttle at less than full... but I believe that is changing for me. God is churning something deep within me. I want to be sure and live to the maximum of my days!

How about in your life? Whatever the number of your days to this present moment, has it been enough? Like you, I want to live my life in such a way that when my number runs out, there will be no questions... just an acknowlegement of fact... "it was enough."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Full throttle for God is blessed, but not painless as I am sure you know quite well.

Your post reminds me of the quote I have on my myspace profile...

Gandalf To Frodo who laments the burden of the ring: "So do all that come to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Greetings From Tucson said...

When I am anxious about my ‘time’, these verses bring comfort:

Psalm 139: 1-5; 16

O LORD, you have searched me and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD.
You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.
All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

When I am contemplating how I will live my remaining time, I take inspiration from Mark Schultz’ song “Time that is left,” from his Stories and Songs album.

Congrats to you and your beautiful wife on your 20th anniversary!