Monday, August 07, 2006

A Million Dollars...

May I be honest and simply say that I'm really tired of million dollar game shows? A few years ago, a million dollars seemed like a bunch of money, but now game shows that come and go like the wind are giving away a "million dollars." What with inflation and all, I guess a million doesn't go as far as it once did! I remember when I was a little kid, if someone were (even singularly) a millionaire, they were set for life! In fact, my first roommate once said, "I wish I had a million dollars. I'd put it in the bank, draw only the annual interest, and still have a descent income, " he said it more than once that I can recall. Maybe those "interest only" days are gone?

Today, it seems like everyone wants to get their "million" in a hurry -- quick and easy. "Talent shows" (I use that term loosely) are promising the "quick" million to the best new talent (after taxes that's still only about $600,000 or so). And all the "talent" seem to act as if they are entitled... as if their talent "deserves" a million even before they are discovered! Take then, all the poker shows (when did that become a broadcast sport by the way -- most of these guys don't look like they could run around the poker table, let alone run a race) promising the next "million" to the guy with the best hand and the best poker face. (I'm rooting for the dude in the sunglasses and the baseball cap -- if you don't watch, most of them wear glasses and ball caps).

Okay, I may not have my "million" dollars either, but I'm just tired of all the glitz, glam and promotion of being a "millionaire." Somewhere along the line, can't we simply be content, and maybe even thankful, for the money we do have?

The richest guy who ever lived (no, not Bill Gates... a guy named Solomon) once wrote, "Dishonest money dwindles away, but he who gathers money little by little makes it grow" (Prov. 13:11). You might question his wisdom... but Solomon could see the matter from both sides and I think he knew what he was saying. There is wisdom in gaining your money, "little by little."

The first Survivor winner of $1,000,000 has been sentenced to prison as I write. Richard Hatch, convicted of tax evasion, will spend years behind the bars of a state prison and will have nothing remotely close to a million dollars to show for it when he gets out. The money is gone and the tax bill awaits. I wonder how many other million dollar winners will meet a similar fate? It is really sad when you think about it!

Perhaps rather than constantly chasing the potential of our next million dollars, we should simply be content with working hard, living within our means and pursuing a deeply meaningful relationship with God. Nothing we can desire compares to what can come from time spent with the Lord. Make your investment with the Lord, today. It only increases in value!

1 comment:

Becky said...

Well said!