Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Dime For Your Thought


What with inflation over the years, certainly the thoughts of another are worth more than a penny. Let's blow right past the nickel and go straight to a dime! So, "a dime for your thoughts on this one."

Early this morning in the gym I was working triceps in front of the dumbbells (not the people, the weights) and down around the 45, 50 and 55 lbs assortment, I saw a dime lying face-down on the floor. In between the first and second sets, I began to wonder what the "righteous" thing to do would be regarding the dime. I've heard it said that one should never pick up a coin face-down due to "bad luck" coming upon the coin or the possessor. I don't believe in that kind of stuff so it was easily discounted (pardon the pun).

But my thoughts were toward whether it would be "right" to pick up the dime or is it more "righteous" to leave it there? I tried the WWJD (What Would Jesus Do) and couldn't resolve the matter. To me, there is righteousness in leaving it there -- my thought being someone else who might really need it would find it (but a person who really needs a dime probably isn't paying $28+ per month to work out at a gym!

I thought about the person who lost it and perhaps they would come back for it. It was still there when I left the workout floor.

I thought about righteously taking the dime and putting it toward something useful or beneficial for the sake of others. But I didn't do that either.

Could it be that what we do with a "dime" is reflective of what we would do with much more?

A dime for your thoughts...

No comments: