Thursday, November 02, 2006

Sacred Little... Venti Philosophy, Part 2



Life is certainly not about coffee, but coffee can certainly be about life and is most definitely part of mine. Strange how but only a few years ago, I merely admired the aroma of the bean. Now, I can objectively say while free from addiction, I do enjoy it as much as any other consumable. Ahh coffee... tis a good thing!

Imagine my shock and dismay this morning when S'bucks was out of venti cups! I mean... how does that happen? What manager slipped a cog and arranged this fiasco! Oh, the humanity... this is upheaval of epic proportion! What is a venti guy supposed to do? I mean, they didn't even offer to throw my venti into two tall cups... venti wasn't an option this morning and if I sound a bit cranky, well... let's just appreciate that I'm a "shot" low off my normal intake! I mean... is a Grande really going to get the job done! C'mon... who forgets to order cups? It's not like there was a run on venti this morning, was there?

Later that day...

(Okay... group let's begin... Christopher: "Hi, I'm Christopher and I'm a venti addict." Group: "Hi, Christopher").

Surely I jest... however... One of last week's entries queried this issue of "bigger being better." We all fall victim to"bigger is better" ("more is best") eventually and then, once coming to our senses, we wonder how we can handle such a big "thing" (over-extended debt; keeping up a house so large; pumping even more fossil fuel into such a vehicular beast; ridding the moths feasting on clothes we haven't worn in ages; etc.). We begin to wonder where the "bigger is better" ("more is best") mentality even originates.

The point of origination might be a matter of perspective or disposition. I've known "depression babies" who justify excess as compensation for doing without for so many years. I've heard "boomers" express an almost innate need to "keep up" with their neighbors. I've observed others who simply justify it because they can "afford" it.

Exposing the "reason" may be as difficult as turning a lump of coal into a diamond in your bare hands, but one thing aiding any realization in the matter is to simply concentrate on the "little"... the sacred little.

All around us, every day of our existence, thanksgiving awaits in the "little" things. For example, before finishing this sentence, simply hold your breath and don't take another. It's okay... I'll wait............


You didn't pass out, did you? The reason: you needed that next breath. We all do. Anyone who has suffered with respiritory illness understands the value of a clear full breath. Too often, "bigger is better" ("more is best") is not a function of "need" but of "want." Eventually, we come to realize that we can trust our "needs" much more than we can trust our "wants."

Becoming aware of our language, we often convolute our "needs" with our "wants." How many times do we stand at the ice cream counter and say, "I need a double strawberry and cream on a waffle cone." Do we really "need" it? Is it a function of our survival? We may think so, but I reckon not.

What if you chose to live the rest of the day conscious of every breath. Would it transform your awareness of the "little" things? Breathe in... breathe out... breathe in... being aware of every single one. How precious are the little things! There are days I'm completely unaware of my breath. Imagine missing such a "little" thing that is so incredibly "big!"

While you may not be ready to sell the car, or downsize the new house... try being aware of your breath. Breathe (please do), but breathe with an appreciation for the "sacred little" and let it transform your perspective on the "venti" matters of life.

Next breath...

No comments: