Thursday, December 21, 2006

Remaining...



For the past few days I've been fighting some kind of a "bug." Sinus congestion, sneezing, itchy eyes, scratchy throat, body aches... just the general "yucks!" I've felt it trying to invade my chest, but I am willing it away. No southern migration for the "yucks!" It's either in the head, or nowhere at all! Doesn't it figure? Just a couple days before a two weeks of scheduled vacation and I have to get sick. I am so rarely ill that it would be up to me to get sick on a much needed vacation and at Christmas time, too!

Yesterday, I felt so badly that I couldn't even get out of bed the first half of the day. If I did happen to wake up (which I only did twice between 8am and 3pm) I quickly rolled over and went right back to sleep. Sleep always seems to help my body recover even quicker than any medicine. I love sleep and I'm actually fairly good at it -- but my 15-year-old can certainly give me a run for my money. One day this past summer I recall she pushed her slumber to the 14 hour mark! Funny thing about getting older... it seems we require less sleep. I now average about 5 hours per night.

Needing to facilitate a spiritual formation event on our church campus that evening, I found myself back in the office around 4:30pm. Starting to feel a little better physically (never underestimate the power of a S'Buck Venti), I stayed around the office late for some conversation, prayer, writing and some computer fine tuning. Arriving home a little after midnight I took some cold medicine and headed to bed. Normally taking only seconds to fall asleep, the moment my head hit the pillow, I knew I was in trouble. Sleep would be a lost commodity this night!

I spent the next two hours just lying there, letting thoughts of friends and family float through my mind. As each came to my attention, I let the thought of them "rest" in the welcomed presence of the Lord. Ebbing between engaged prayer and simply listening, I enjoyed a renewed sense of God's presence and love. The time was sweet... I felt closer to everyone in my attention, including the Lord.

Finally, about 4:00am I got out of bed, did a little work, played a couple games of online backgammon, read a little and finally went back to bed about 6:00am for "a nice winter's nap." (Not quite the night before Christmas, but we're getting close).

I awoke with the words of Jesus close to my heart, "If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing" (John 15:5). The thought of His words have remained all day.

I'm trying to discover the power of simply being still... abiding... remaining in His presence. No need for words, just presence. It takes some discipline, but without pursing it, it's like the Venti without the cream (never quite as sweet).

Quite frankly, I'd rather learn my lessons apart from this stinkin' head cold... but regardless of how it comes, the lesson is well learned.

Now, does anyone have a tissue?

No comments: