Sunday, March 18, 2007

Anticipation


I spent a nice afternoon on the golf course today with one of my closest friends. A "third" joined us and it was an interesting experience really. Inviting himself to play with us did seem to be beyond him as he dropped atomic hints to the effect before the first tee.

I'll admit, playing with someone else simply wasn't high on my priority list today. In fact, I'll confess I was being a bit selfish and just didn't want him to tag along. But my friend, ever the hospitable Southern gentlemen, invited the "single" (both literal and in golf terminologies) to play along with us. So consequently "Moe" (not his real name) was riding solo in the "lonely cart."

All three of us hitting strong down the middle off the first tee was a great experience though I could tell instantly that "Moe the Single" was going to be an interesting character. Golfers know the tactics of a golf snob who is just insecure enough with his game as to be completely obnoxious in his golf etiquette and demeanor (all golfers have admittedly "been there and done that") and Moe was certainly no exception. If his game was "off" today, it certainly wasn't going to speak for itself... he would do the talking for it!

After all of us hitting good drives off the first tee (which always sets the tone for a good round as recovering an entire round from even a lousy first tee shot is at times seemingly impossible) there was a general sense of anticipation in the air. I had not picked up a golf club in something like five months and was happy to simply be on a course and hitting to where I could still see the ball! Woo-hoo... call my day a victory already!

Now, without even the benefit of one practice shot on the range, finding myself "safe and in play" on the first swing only set a great mental stage for my round. I was loose, relaxed and having fun. There is just something about merely being on the course that sets everything "right" in the mind of a golfer, especially if he hasn't played in some time. Sometimes it takes years to get to that mental place, but once arrived, the mental view from that vista is blissful and it is a meaningful destination from which one never wants to depart (yes, there is likely some form of "Zen" in there somewhere).

Play was consistent and steady through the first couple of holes and then Moe blew a shot off the third tee -- dribbling barely past the ladies' tee. As if scripted well in advance like an actor on book, out came the first in a litany of excuses and the "I'm just not having a good round" commentary. Clearly Moe's intention was to passively let my friend and I know he was a much "better" golfer than today's round would surely indicate. He seemed to go to painstaking lengths to inform us by the way and frankly, I didn't much care... I just wanted to enjoy a few golf shots and some time out with my friend. Funny how one can play better golf when the anticipation is merely to relax and have a good time. The more golfers anticipate good play (especially as hack amateurs such as we are) it seems the worse the result! This was certainly the case for our new companion Moe! "Visualize the shot... be the shot...take the shot...curse the shot..." was pretty much Moe's M.O.

Ten years divorced (we found this out on the 11th tee) and showing signs of significant loneliness in his life, Moe must have been well experienced and quite comfortable in the fine art of "self talk" because he did a considerable amount of it. All day long, he would just come "off the wall" with some of the most random comments either about his game, his health or his financial situation. I'm thinking if money is a real issue here, perhaps golf is not the wisest of investments? Nonetheless, I began to feel quite sorry of the guy, but his social demeanor was so offset and apparently even volatile at times (my friend and I concluded "anger issues" by the 15th tee) he seemed unapproachable to me and I was still trying to preserve my "good time" outing.

Lest we miss the point here... I anticipated merely a good time with my friend and a nice day on the golf course. I got both and for not having played in over five months, I was pleased with my score. I can only assume Moe clearly anticipated shooting the "round of his life" and I'm fairly confident he fell, well, considerably short of his goal. That for which he anticipated was not to be realized today. I'm thinking he drove home in less than a good mood which is pretty sorry for a lonely guy. I wonder if he anticipated that before he left? It might have been a better day had he simply stayed home.

Oh... and while we're considering anticipation... on the ninth fairway, several kids stood next to a back yard pool soaked to the bone and shivering with towels draped around them in the low 60 degree wind-chilled weather. Though it is still a little early to be frolicking in a non-heated swimming pool, these kids were clearly proclaiming their anticipation of Summer's arrival. I loved it! Only a child has the intestinal drive to "will in the new season" by diving into a chilly North Texas pool of water in the middle of March! Ah, the power of anticipation is a glorious thing! It can bring joy and wonderful times, or simply fill your day with sadness and frustration.

So I'm a bit curious... what are you anticipating today and how does that anticipation influence your current disposition?

FORE!!!

No comments: