Thursday, March 08, 2007

Time Flies


Nathaniel Hawthorne wrote, "Time flies over us, but leaves its shadow behind." Perhaps nothing could be more true than in the world of blogging.

It has been a full week (I can't believe it has been that long) since I last offered an entry here. There have been moments (read: seconds) in the past seven days where intentions were quite high to sit and offer a thought or two, but time has flown over me and I've only had its shadow in which to remain. Time. How fleeting and illusive!

It has been said that "time cures one of everything, even living" and I suppose this to be true. Time is illusive and may get the very best of us (or the worst of us depending on how we look at it) if we are not diligent in our stewardship of it. Enjoying writing as I do, I find the tyranny of the urgent driving most of my writing. A letter of correspondence, an email to set a meeting time, a lesson plan or teaching outline all demand attention and consume the "available" time I perceive I have to write recreationally (even in a space as brief as a blog).

Though we can never fully avoid the demands of time, lately, I've been trying to think less in terms of time and more in terms of essence. I've been considering what is it I essentially need to "be" rather than what it is I necessarily must "do." I believe there is a bottomless pit closely associated with this type of thinking. When we exclusively place "being" over "doing" we can get so lost in the "being" that the "doings" requiring deadlines and appointments become meaningless. It is recommended steering clear of that trap.

However, there is merit to finding balance between the "doing" and the "being."

As I sit to write in this moment, I'm finding the expression coming not from the "need to cross 'blog writing' off my day's "to do" list," but rather from the desire to stop for a moment and think about something or someone and try to connect with some folks who might indulge me long enough to read what I have written and perhaps garner their thoughts as well.

Rather than letting time manage me, I'm trying to find the principle difference in better managing my time. Doing so efficiently must have something to do with "being" and "doing" and I'm trying to find out what the balance is to it all.

Have you any ideas on balancing time and what motivates "doing" what you do and "being" who you are? I'd enjoy you taking the time to share some thoughts...

No comments: