Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Simply Amazing


One of the things that has always drawn me to adventure sports is the opportunity to experience something amazing. Sliding down the face of a big wave, skiing the top of the mountain, racing bicycles, riding motorcycles, climbing sand dunes in dune buggies, skin diving, white-water rafting class 5 rapids, etc. all have the opportunity to amaze. I've always been something of an adventure junkie (within reason and finances) and have had my share of great experiences and hope to have even more. I'm guessing a parachute jump is in my future before I hit the half-century mark.

One of the things that has always drawn me to faith is the opportunity to experience something amazing. The power of God's ability to "forgive and forget" is amazing grace enough. But to add to that list praying for something to happen against all odds and watching it happen; the complete healing of a "there is no hope" patient, the funding for a ministry need from "out of nowhere," the total reversal of a life headed the wrong way, the divine intuition to call someone when they "needed you most." I've always been kind of a faith junkie (with too much reason and (sometimes) too many finances for faith's good) and have had my share of great experiences and hope to have more. I hope that on my dying day, I witness something amazing at the hand of God. Perhaps my own salvation would be amazing enough?

Recently, I saw God begin to do something in the lives of some people. In a world where we sometimes think the potential of a human being is without limit, I watched God take a very limited "human" situation and begin to move it to "beyond super-human" capabilities. Like a priceless work of art in process of creation, the details remain hidden for now, but watching God work has renewed my conviction that if one is looking for "adventure," without question faith provides perhaps the greatest arena for it.

I've experienced some amazing adventures in my lifetime, but never any as great as scaling the boundaries of faith. How far will faith take you? One thing is assured, a great adventure awaits you!

"And without faith it is impossible to please God,
because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists
and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."
Heb. 11:6

1 comment:

Liz Moore said...

I have a wise friend that once said, "Little is much when God is in it". I love those Wow moments that can only come from God when we get out of the way and let Him work.