Friday, August 15, 2008

Frog Praise

The rains have been heavy the past 24 hours or so and the frogs are singing a mighty chorus tonight.

The house where I live is situated in a place where we tend to have quite a few frogs during the spring and summer. The little critters have been especially plentiful this year, though we've not had a bunch of rain until the last couple of days. I am curious how these guys make it in the world. I far too frequently, for my comfort anyway (especially if I was one of them) find squashed and dried frog vestiges up and down our street. Not long ago, we had one smashed paper thin in our driveway and I began the inquiring as to which driver in our household was the accused. Turns out, it was a guest! Grace, extended.

I've always been a fan of frogs, though I've likely not been the best host to them. When I was a kid, growing up in Southern California, we had a significant population of really small frogs in our yard. I used to catch these little amphibians in pickle jars the Pop of the "mom and pop market" would give me (Midway Market was it's actual name... though I don't know from where-to-where it was midway) . I was careful to poke holes in the top of the jar and put stuff in there I thought the frogs would like to eat... a few ants, a piece of lettuce and whatever vegetables I thought I could coax off my dinner plate without my parents getting mad. Far too often, those little guys met the same fate as the old croaker in the driveway. I still mourn... slightly.

I've noticed the ones at my house now are a fairly stout breed. I was mowing a couple months ago and the grass was a bit higher than normal and I clipped one of my little friends (unwittingly, of course. I've made many a mowing detour to make peace with my four-legged friends). Everything was in tact in the palm-sized body, but there was a good gash on his head and the left "landing gear" was a bit afoul. Bummed... (I can't speak for how the frog felt, though I'm guessing no better than me), I helped him down to the pond. After the initial shock of getting whacked with a 21" Husqvarna 6.5 HP side-throw/mulcher, he was actually moving pretty good. I saw him to the waters edge and he (seemingly appreciatively) dove in. (I really hope it didn't sting too badly...).

Frogs, not the most beautiful dudes around (though allegedly finding company with a beautiful princess has dramatic affect) are nice to have around. The are great on fighting the insect pest population and have a great influence on a dog's saliva production when teased by the canine crowd (apparently no lasting problems here, but it's weird to watch your dog foam at the mouth for about 20 minutes after licking Mr. Toad -- great entertainment around our house, let me tell you).

The frog crowd doesn't always get the best press, either. Egypt, under Pharaoh, had a tough go of it with frogs when God chose to send a little message via the "rippit-ing" messengers. Eventually, Pharaoh summoned Moses to ask God to take the frogs away. Moses prayed and God relented... and a lot of frogs died that day, too (Exodus 8:1-15) and the smell was something to be reckoned with.

Tonight... they don't smell at my house. They are just croaking out a great symphony of frog noises. A while back, it was driving me a bit crazy hearing them every night and I've noticed they get even more actively loud after a good rain. So tonight it dawned on me that maybe that's when their most happy. Maybe after a good rain the bugs are plumper and their skin is a bit wetter and life is good in the pond! So... tonight I'm just a bit more at peace with the frogs... and now hearing their songs as a gesture of frog praise rather than an annoyance.

What nature sounds have you noticed lately? Want to share what you've heard?

We're listening... me and the frogs.

No comments: