Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Frogs, Part Deux

2:54am

It is not far too unusual to be awakened in the middle of the night (early morning). It has happened to me for years. As something almost like unto a spiritual ritual, at times I receive these "promptings" long before the sun rises from its transversed orbital slumber. It is a call to get out of bed and find the One thing calling me out of my sleepy state.

Far too often, I've been encountered in ways that are much more valuable than sleep, so when the prompting arises, I typically heed the call. This morning was no exception.

The apparent destination was the back patio. Didn't know why I was being called there in particular, but I was. Rain has been consistently falling since midnight, flashes of lightning and peels of thunder rolling in the distance. On the patio, things are peaceful and still. Seeing the evening's work of those pesky (and somewhat messy) spiders refracting light from a distant source. The frogs are quiet tonight. All is quite still save the droplets of rain falling gently all around.

You know when you have that feeling you're being watched? I've had that sensation several times through the years, especially in these earliest of morning calls... but typically the presence of the "watcher" is from somewhere "above." This morning, the watching didn't seem closer in proximity, just different in vantage point. This watcher was close and just behind me rather than from "above."

Pulling up a patio chair from the table and simply awaiting any word from my Inviter, I sat still, enjoying one of the coolest night's in many, many weeks. Several minutes passed... then tens of minutes... and still nothing. Being very aware of the presence of Senor Mosquito... as I am something akin to Filet Mignon to that member of the blood-sucking predator family... I was beginning to wonder about tonight's call.

Thinking a spot on the patio floor was another arachnid who had turned attention away from web building to human inspecting, I quickly went to turn on the patio light. Humorously finding the impending "spidy" to merely be a "spotty" on the patio floor, I turned to go flip the light back off. That's when the sense of my being watched became abundantly present to my awareness.

Enter "Kermit" the tree frog.

He'd been enjoying a "frog's eye view" of me since I arriving. There, suctioned onto the window just above my left shoulder, was the coolest looking guy... making his way toward one of those more juicy spiders (more power to him on that menu choice -- dine away, my friend -- one less for me to deal with!!!).

The view audience changing roles, he became the viewee now, while I the viewer.

What an amazing creature! How I wish I could just hang on a plane of glass by my toes (think of the party entertainment that would be!). Throat "clucking" about twice per second, eyes blinking, legs stretching while making his way higher up the glass (and closer to the eight-legged main course in this earliest of breakfasts). What an amazing creature!

Though he made no noise, was this my early morning caller? I sat and watched... wondered... what is the message, Sir? Perhaps none other than mutual appreciation and a sense that we're both being watched by One who is responsible for us both being here. Regardless of the hour, the condition of the weather, whether hungry or full... there is One who is always aware... always watching... always providing... always caring...

Regardless of the time of day or night... there is One who loves us all and He may even wake you up in the middle of the night, just to let you know. Just be watchful for the messenger.

You, my friend, are deeply loved, all the way down to your suction-cupped toes.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

What a great blog Christopher! I tend to miss those callings in the early morning... guess I need to work on my awareness factor...I usually just roll back over and go back to sleep...next time perhaps I'll get up and spend some quiet time with the One who watches over us all. Thanks so much for sharing this experience.

preacherman said...

Wonderful post.
Keep up the great work brother!