Monday, April 23, 2007

The "Perfect" Candy


Never known for having much of a "sweet tooth," I can usually pass on most desserts or candies that come my way. I've taken a pass on some great looking cakes or other delicious delectables without much trouble. I'd love to say it is will-power, but it isn't. It is just that my palate doesn't beg for sweet stuff.

All my life though, I have enjoyed M&M candies. You know the slogan "melts in your mouth, not in your hand" (though that is a bit of a misnomer, because unless your hands are only slightly above the temperature of an ice cube, holding even a few for a moment will eventually result in a veritable "rainbow of color" in your hand). All-in-all however, I'm inclined to think M&M's may be the "perfect" candy. What can be better than rich milk chocolate surrounded by a hard candied shell? It is the best of both "candy worlds!" M&M's could possibly be the greatest candy ever created!

I ate so many packages of M&M's in high school, that a few people actually started called me "M" for short (thankfully that tag didn't stick). It was a rare day I didn't have at least one package in my possession and friends were always hitting me up "for some M's."I liked them because it was possible to "graze" on a package for most of the day (can't do that with your favorite candy bar). You could keep them in your bookbag and (if they didn't get exposed to heat) were "good to go" at a moment's notice. I also liked the fact that I could sneak them into my mouth even in classes where the instructor prohibited eating in class. That was always a bit of a challenge to see if I could get away with it. I'll generally take a good challenge.

M&M colors have stayed basically the same over the years (save the introduction of "blue" a few years ago) and there is a certain urban legend surrounding one other color in particular (I can neither confirm nor deny the veracity of the legend -- so let's leave it there). How many other candies can claim an "urban legend" surrounding it? That must account for something when it comes to being named the "perfect" candy, shouldn't it?

M&M's transcend all other candies because they have actually acquired certain existential qualities and status. Not only in addition to ordering specific colors or color combinations (a friend of mine once order thousands in a favorite sport team's colors), there is also "custom labeling" available so that now your M&M's can express your own personality (of course, it still has to fit on an M&M) and you can even create an M&M character to look like yourself. Click here to check it out! Does any other can have this kind of essence about it? That is status, baby! It has even been rumored scientists have located the M&M molecule! Snickers can't say that!

A few years ago, my Dad (a retired, but semi-professional woodworker) made a really ingenious wood and glass M&M dispenser. It now sits on my desk and I buy my M's by the pound (literally). All throughout the day, co-workers come by my office, say "hello" and then grab a few M's. The dispenser distributes a maximum of two per pull so it makes it easier to pace consumption. It is humorous, because I can always tell when someone comes by only for M's. People will say the lamest things to get to the "perfect candy!"

If I can go on about a simple candy which is realistically far from "perfect" (it only approaches perfection in my own opinion) imagine what can be said about the One who is, truly Perfect?

What is your "perfect" candy and what amazing thing about the Perfect One comes to your mind when you think about "perfection?"

"O praise the greatness of our God! He is the Rock, his works are perfect,
and all his ways are just
."
(Deut. 32:4)

4 comments:

Vonnie said...

I think Brach chocolate covered peanuts are the best. M&M peanuts are good but don't rate as high.

Greetings From Tucson said...

We had custom imprinted M&Ms at the wedding - sorry you missed it! : - (

Becky said...

Ahhh. I have found an "M" brother. I must have my M's when going to the movies and enjoy them one at a time, which makes the package last the length of the movie. I have recently discovered Kissables, tastes like M's, shaped like Hershey's Kisses. Although I feel like a traitor, I actually like them better (more chocolate per piece) but they are harder to find. Sadly, I can't have them at or anywhere near my desk. Not enough self control.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you think some people come by only for candy rather than to spend time in your wise presence!