Thursday, April 12, 2007

Where You're Coming From


It has seemingly always been my fortunate circumstance to have been in churches where "recovery" (though we didn't always call it that) was a theme. Many people had a story of finding Jesus that was fairly dramatic and emotionally persuasive. Recovery from drugs, sexual exploits or other life abuse was a common occurrence to my recollection and I was always compelled by how moving these stories of life-recovery were.

Early in my college career, I remember one particular person "recovering" from significant life abuse and finding "new life" in Jesus with whom I became particularly close. We grew beyond typical casual acquaintance and conversations to begin sharing some of the "secrets" both of and to living life. I was always impressed with how clarified his story was and how emotionally compelling I found it. I was frequently moved to hear of how God had "saved him" from his own selfish destruction and I sometimes felt my own story was a bit "flat" and, honestly, a bit boring.

One day I confessed to him how I wished that the story of my own faith journey was as emotionally compelling, dramatic and as convincing as his. It was then that he shared something that has stayed with me through the decades. He said, "You are so fortunate... you've been in church since you were six weeks old. You had parents that not only taught you how to pray, but also listened to you pray. Your meals were family occasions where people shared life and love. You had a community of faith who looked out for you and cared if you knew Christ or not. You had Christian friends who walked in faith with you and picked you up when you fell down. And do you know what? From my point of view, that is an amazing testimony and I'd would trade for that story in an instant!" I was shocked at the persuasion of my own story as it came from the mouth of someone else and realized the reality of things really came down to a matter of perspective.

While lamenting my own lack of "dramatic testimony," this relatively new follower of Christ caused me to realize where I was coming from also "had some teeth" as well. It is an amazing thing when people are fortunate enough to find Jesus at a very young age. That day I came to know that we all have a story and it doesn't have to be a "Hollywood drama" to have validity and power. I guess it just depends on where you're coming from.

Sadly and regretfully, since that time so many years ago, I've managed to add some drama to my own faith adventure that I'd rather take back and "do over again" if I had the opportunity. In my own form of spiritual "recovery" I see God taking my mistakes and failures and making some Good News out of it through the grace of Christ and I can how see how my scars are being a blessing to the life of others. But the roots of my story still speak as well and if not for others, it still speaks a powerful testimony for my own life. I have been very fortunate and so richly blessed.

I guess it just depends on where you're coming from.

So where are you coming from? What is your story? The longer I live, the more I realize every story is amazing in itself and God's love is an amazing thing as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would have to agree with your friend. Christ allowed me to fall flat on my face in sin, drugs, adultery, self mutilation, hatred, shall I go on?...before I was so low I had no other place to look but up. I hope to someday tell my story to others, and if there is someone like you there who doubts that they have an incredible story to tell, I will just remind them of the incredible place that God has brought them to and the many lives that they have blessed.