Saturday, July 15, 2006

Creative Worship



Jesus once said if the people of His day kept quiet, the stones would cry out in praise of His name (Lk. 19:40) and I've always wondered what the sound would be. Would it be in a language I would recognize? Would they simply click together as in a landslide? Would they have their own unique tongue and voice?

While I believe it could happen as Jesus spoke it, I want to be careful and not lose the point as His detractors apparently did. As I live in and around nature, I can't help being aware of nature's role in worship to the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

As God continues to grow me through days and breath, I have become increasingly aware of the "praise" nature offers its Creator. Most apparent to me in recent years is the beauty of clouds and the sounds of songful birds singing their tunes. There was a time in my life when I found the squawking of certain birds obnoxious and annoying. By way of confession, I will admit there was a time early in my life when I took ready aim at the singing fowl with a slingshot... just to watch them scurry away (before for you call the SPCA...not to worry, I wasn't a young David and my aim not all that good). My thoughts and disposition have changed in recent years and now I'll actually stop my business in order to appreciate theirs. I may not spend a long time listening, but I will listen long enough and closely enough to appreciate their "words of praise." How beautiful it must sound to the Creator. Does my voice sound as sweet? Are my praises as varied as theirs?

Perhaps St. Francis of Assisi (c. 1181- 1226) is the one who turned my ear around. Founder of the Franciscan Order, Francis had a particularly keen awareness of nature and was diligent in spending time in it. It is said that on one occasion, while walking with some of his students, he actually walked among a flock of birds (who seemingly were not flushed by his presence) and preached a brief sermon to them reminding them to give praise to the Creator for the beauty of their own createdness.

Nature has much to offer us regarding worship. The lillies of the field don't labor or spin, the birds of the air don't store away in barns and yet they are well taken care of by their Creator. Maybe that is why lillies are so beautiful to our eyes and bird songs as pleasant when we take time to listen. Nature is teaching me the simplicity of worship. How much more equipped are we to give praise than the lillies and the birds? If we don't make a very concerted effort in our praise, the lillies, the birds and even the rocks will have one up on us. But together, somehow along with them, we can offer worship for which our Creator is worthy.

3 comments:

Liz Moore said...

I have really be enjoying your series on worship. Worship is or should be one of the most important parts of our life. I too have thought a lot about that verse and wondering what it would be like to hear the rocks cry out. The beauty of God's creation is in so many things we sometimes take for granted. I also enjoy the sky when the horizon has that bluish, pinkish, purplish color... there is nothing more beautiful.

I hope my last comment did not sound like I was down on or judging others worship. It was not meant that way at all. I just know how much my worship has come to mean to me over the past 10+ years. And I hope and pray that everyone will learn what an important part of their Christian walk worship is. Not just in the corporate worship, but everyday worshipping God in everyway for all He has done and is doing for this world and in our lives. God Bless

Tim Perkins said...

All one has to do is to slow down and look at some form of nature - any form of nature. Stare at the detail in the design. Note the function built in to the form.

Only one response is possible...God did it.

Christopher Green said...

The key, as it would seem, is being willing to take the time to stare!

Thanks for the comments!