Monday, July 24, 2006

Trust the Angle


Today I took a little time off and spent the day with my younger daughter. We've needed some time together and today presented the "perfect" opportunity. The weather was nice, winding roads beckoned and we answered the call. Together, we put over 100 miles on the bike and hammered down a couple burgers, some fries and nearly sinful chocolate shakes in the process. (Okay... I'll tell you our "secret spot"... for those fortunate enough to live in the DFW area... check out Herby's Soda Fountain in old downtown McKinney just off state highway 5 -- in the antique district -- you'll feel like you've stepped back in time and the chocolate shakes are old-fashioned goodness).

I always enjoy any of my girls (wife included) riding "two-up" with me but I will say, the riding is always different. The responsibility of having anyone (let alone a beloved child or wife) on the back of a motorcycle always feels like "risk exponential." It is strange how what comes so natural to me and taking turns the "faster the better" alone can become so complicated with someone else on-board. Its enough to tame a daring man. I find myself almost being too cautious, which for a motorcyclist can be as dangerous as being too wreckless. There is a line one has too maintain between caution and wrecklessness.

Motorcycles are unique vehicles. Where a car wants to push through a turn (go wider with speed), a motorcycle wants to continue turning tighter and tighter. The lower in the turn the rider goes, the happier the motorcycle tends to be, by nature. But... with little or no warning whatsoever, pushed too far the bike can lose adhesion and "slip" out from under the rider and then the real thrill ride begins! Now, that point of lost adhesion, barring any foreign substances like gravel, oil or nasty demons like radiator fluid (particularly evil), is typically much farther leaned into a turn than most street riders will ever experience. Road racing professionals actually drag their knees on the pavement and still are able to maintain traction (most of the time -- grin here). Deep turns are all part of the risk/reward dynamic of riding one of these silly machines.

As my girls (wife excluded here) have experienced more and more of the thrill of motorcycling, the deeper they want to go in the turns. The deeper we go in turns, the more what seems "normal" for me riding alone, becomes "risk" in my head riding with them. Today, my daughter was getting the feel of it so much that she actually leaned into a turn on her own initiative (instead of following my lead) and it almost got me off balance (we've since discussed always follow Daddy's lead... don't lead on your own).

So... what's the point?

As I ride with God farther and farther in this faith journey, the more I realize we're taking turns faster and deeper than we ever have taken them before. I have never had a reason to question His lead. He has always picked the perfect line through every turn. But... sometimes I find myself leaning too early. At times it is because I think I'm doing so well with Him that I can actually pick the line myself... but when I do that, I seem to get the line wrong and my life winds up someplace over in the gravel (not a good place for street bikes or human life... always remember, asphalt good; gravel bad. Most riders (and lifers) have learned that one the hard way... myself included both in life and riding)!

As much as I want to ride (live) with God, I'm realizing things go best when I just follow His lean angle. He has the throttle... He has the experience... He's my Father in Heaven... so, I'm trusting His angle.

How about you? Are you ready to take life's turns deeper with God on the throttle? I'm finding that's where the ride is the best, even if it means I ride in back!

Ride safely... and maybe I'll see you down the road.

No comments: