Monday, July 03, 2006

Independence Day

Happy Fourth of July! Today is the day our country celebrates our independence. 230 years of independence from the "Motherland." As far as world nations go, we're still just youngsters... we're walking pretty well, but probably still wearing diapers and needing someone to help us get dressed from a historical perspective. But all in all, we've become arguably the most powerful economic, political and militaristic nation on the globe. Happy Birthday, America!

The independent spirit that characterizes our brand of society is renown across this planet. Admired by most, there are others who find us as a people to be arrogant and selfishly independent. Ranked among the "best" in the world, we are also the top consuming nation in nearly every category available. While generous to other nations the world over, there is likely room for improvement.

A couple months ago, I had the privledge of hearing Bono (the front man for the Irish rock band U2) speak on the plight of Africa. I found him to be quite articulate and well versed in the needs of the world around us, but specifically with regard to the needs of the African people. Among many powerful points made that evening, he suggested that if the USA increased its benevolence to the world by only 1%, world hunger would be eradicated. That simply did me in. Only a 1% increase could change the world? Amazing.

But could we do that? Could we increase our international benevolence by 1%? The answer is obviously "yes," but it might also be "no."

I wonder about our "independence" and what happens when people are "free" to pursue the American Dream (if there truly is such a thing). How many populations get left behind in our pursuits? I begin to listen more closely to the words of Jesus and how, at times, His kingdom speeches challenge the virtues of our modern American independence. Jesus speaks often of being more blessed by giving than receiving, of losing your life only to find it, of giving not only your coat to anyone who has need, but also your shirt, too. Stuff like that really knocks at the door of my comfortable American independence and it makes me wonder.

New Testament authors also write of being a "body" and each part a dependent part of another and it makes me wonder if in our independence, we have only become more isolated and insulated from the real pains of the world around us.

If my independence only feeds my insatiable thirst for more and more stuff and my illusions of self sufficiency consequently move me farther and farther from the true heart of Jesus, is it really independence? On this Fourth of July holiday, maybe I need to rethink "with liberty and justice for all."

2 comments:

Liz Moore said...

I didn't get a chance to tell you last night after church, but great job on your lesson! You have really made me think about my actions and whether or not I am being a blessing to others. I needed the reminder!

Christopher Green said...

Thanks Liz. I appreciate the consideration on what was shared and I give thanks to God you have returned from vacation. I pray you are rested and restored.