Thursday, September 21, 2006

Expectant



Today promises to be an exciting, if not compelling, day in my spiritual journey. In a few hours, I will be honored and priviledged to be in the presence of a spiritual icon in the realm of Spiritual Formation. Richard Foster, author of Celebration of Discipline (link), one of the most significant books on spiritual formation in the twentieth century, is participating in a conference I am humbled to attend.

I have no idea what to expect by this Renovare Conference. I believe by faith there is no measure to what God can do in an instant when His will and providential circumstances collide. Moses at the burning bush. Isaiah with a vision of God seated on the throne. Paul on the road to Damascus. Will this be one of those occasions to change a life forever? We shall see. I am certainly going to arrive with my heart and mind as open to the opportunity as possible.

I figure it to be a burden to be so influencial an author and have people arriving to hear you speak with high expectations. Yet, I've been around long enough to know that for someone to write so influencial a book and have it influence so many lives, the power isn't their own but belongs to a Spirit of inspiration. I'm also realistic enough to know that sometimes one's giftedness in writing does not equate to excellence in speech. Yet again, it is God exercising the power, not the individual. I pray brother Foster arrives as an empty vessel in the hands of God.

A friend and I will arrive (God willing) with expectancy... but the expectancy will be to encounter the Lord first and foremost. We just might get to meet a great author or two along the way, as well.

Shalom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been so affected by his writing. I hope you share your impressions about the conference in a future post!