Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A Generation (or two) Apart

Four years shy of being twice my age, in the 60's they would have called what we share a "generation gap." He preached for 60 years, 16 years longer than I've been alive. He still has the opportunity to speak on behalf of the Lord, though generally now it is at the funeral of a friend and there aren't many more his age left running around. He's a modernist through and through. I'm a post-modernist who's still trying to figure out exactly what that means.

He is still greatly passionate about the Lord and preaching the Word. If you care to listen long enough, you'll hear it in his voice. Though the eyes are weak, the ears harbor double hearing aids and his hands clearly show the wear of years, his gentle spirit shines through. He still gets around fairly well, is still able to safely drive his car (someone rear ended him the other day -- no fault of his own) and is still driven to stand for what is right. He is a great big man in a rather diminutive vessel.

In many ways we might as well live on different planets, he and I. His style of preaching radically differs from mine. His audience was much more linear, much more driven by the need to be "right" rather than experience and a good narrative. He would rather write a letter or pay you a visit... I'd likely call, email or send a text message. He'll tell you how it is, I'll likely try to show you. We're different to be sure. From a worldly measure, we're miles apart and yet there is something that draws very little distance between the two.

He's an 84-year-old , I'm 44 and we both live every day in light of a profound truth: "For God so loved the world that He gave His One and only Son..."

Frankly, I love spending time with him. He thinks I'm just being nice when we share an extended conversation, but I'm really not merely being nice. Truth be told, I'm probably being selfish. I love hearing how preaching was "in the old days." I love the fact that he still gets excited when he talks about the power of God's word. I love seeing the emotion his generation typically tries to hide, when his eyes fill with tears as he speaks of his sweet late wife. I love that he cares enough about truth to question me when he wants to assure I'm staying true to Scripture. I love it when he struggles to understand the role of contemporary storytelling and exercises in spiritual formation. He often apologizes and stresses that he's not criticizing. But even if he were, it would be okay with me, because I know his heart. There is no malice, only love.

Love is a natural consequence when you've spent as much time with the Savior has he has. Though the world around him changes, Jesus Christ is the "same yesterday, today and forever."

Too often the "ancient" preachers of our day get brushed aside. They're not "hip" anymore and are thought to be irrelevant. While they've maybe lost a step or two, too often they get marginalized and discarded and I find that sad and tragic. They may no longer command attention on today's biggest stages, but they are still good godly men who served long and faithfully. They have my honor and humble appreciation.

I'm thankful for my "old" friend and pray that if God gives me the years, when I'm 84, maybe some "forty something" will still be willing to give me the time of day.

God, please bless my dear friend. I thank You for the blessing he is to my life.

No comments: