Sunday, September 03, 2006

Stepping into Worship


Today, the time of worship at my home church was especially meaningful. From the downbeat of the first song to the final hallelujah, the worship ministry worked diligently at making every moment of the 75 minutes meaningful. It was almost as if we could not afford to "waste" a single breath. Rather, every word of every song was filled with meaning. Every spoken word was intended to "hit" with purpose and intent. Scripture was read, Good News was preached, communion shared, sacrifices of giving were given... every element of the morning pointed with purpose toward our being in Christ. I was tired when I left, but renewed at the same time.

Of course, living a life of worship is to transcend the time and limitations of the corporate worship "assembly." That point is not often missed. But to step into worship as a constant motif or quality of our daily life sometimes is neglected.

This morning, it was as if worship preceeded the worshipper. There was a presence welcoming all who came to give praise to the Creator of all things good. It was as if there was an invitation sent out to all who would come, welcoming them to participate with something (and Someone) who is Great! Great it was to be in His presence. It always is.

Every word filled the worshipper with nearness to God. It was as if we stepped into something beautiful...

This week, I'm going to see if every word (literally) I speak, can be spoken with that level of intention and praise. I'm going to try and lift every portion of my life as an expression of praise to the One who is worthy! Every song, every prayer, every gift, every thought... may they be pleasing in the sight of my God.

It may be I will find myself stepping into life altogether new... or I will be quite familiar, stepping into worship once more.

1 comment:

Tim Perkins said...

It was, indeed, time so very well spent. The thing that strikes me is the contrast between the worship I grew up with and what we experience at Highland Oaks.

The church of the 1950's (hey, I'm old!) featured a randomly selected group of hymns, a guy leading prayer who just found out he was, and no real meaningful thread running through the service.

We have come so far! At HO, I feel the feeling beginning even as the pre-recorded choral music plays. And usually, the crescendo is reached with Chad's final song selection.

I'm thoroughly charged up for the week by then. Job well done by the HO staff!