Friday, September 29, 2006

A Shield About Me


Some kids have special blankets, maybe a teddy bear or some other trinket of comfort. At the risk of being perceived as completely "loopy," you might be interested to know that as a child I had the incredible ability to avoid all trouble in a moments notice. I had an invincible force that was always with me and provided reliable comfort and protection in most any situation. I was so reliant upon this source of security it was never more than an arm's length away. It was my thumb.

You see, if I were being readied for discipline and I didn't want to bear the rebuke, I'd simply hold my thumb up in the air, pull it very close to my face, proceed to close one eye (that is the really important point and critical to the effectiveness -- with both eyes open, there's no protection!!!) and then "hide" behind my thumb. If no one else is around as you are reading, go ahead and try it. That's pretty cool, isn't it? It takes much practice to block out all peripheral attacks and concerns. Most people will find they can still see a little around the edges of the faithful protector, but with practice you can be really good at it. In fact, closing both eyes works well, too, but can be seen as a form of denial.

It wasn't long before people were on to me, especially my parents, and the power of "the thumb" diminished shortly. Today, I will rarely break it out and deploy it again, but only for my own amusement.

Once upon a time, King David had reason to flee from his son Absalom (you can read about it in 2 Samuel 15:13-37). It was an extremely emotional and vulnerable time for David and he sought solace and peace from a constant and reliable source.

O Lord, how many are my foes!
How many rise up against me!
Many are saying of me, "God will not deliver him."
But you are a shield around me, O Lord;
you bestow glory on me and lift up my head.
Ps. 3


When, even if for a moment, we think we have to handle the strains, stresses and struggles of life alone, it would be good to stop and believe David's opening words to this Psalm. So often I know God is there for me, but I forget that He is there for me! God is in the moment and on location in the middle of my pain.

Thinking we are alone produces all kinds of dysfunctional reactions and behaviors, but trusting God's presence and relying on His deliverance is one of the greatest blessings known to any human being.

Next time you feel alone against your struggle, hold up your invincible "thumb" and see just how silly relying on yourself can be. Remember the words of David, because "from the Lord comes deliverance."

No comments: