Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Fulfilled


Not quite the same as a child looking forward to his first-time visit to Disneyland, I did have strong anticipation for my first opportunity to sit in the presence of one of my heroes. Periodically on the drive down, I found myself quietly preparing for what God might have waiting for those who had elected to meet at the Renovare Conference in Austin and benefit from the wisdom and experience of author Emilie Griffin and renowned spiritual formation author Richard Foster.

The conversation with my friend on the 3 1/2 hour drive was rich enough to merit the time and expense of our trip but upon arrival I knew a blessing would await us. I found this church campus where we met to be quite inviting and full of spiritual intention. Fine art, much created by the children of the hosting congregation, adorned the walls of several hallways. Thoughtful architecture, textures and finishes were welcoming and serene. Walking into the space, I realized my spirit was in need of rest and renewal.

Griffin spoke first and her gentle spirit was most striking to me. She does not possess an impressive oratory style, yet her wisdom and depth of knowledge are evident. What speaks most profoundly is her familiarity with God. Though a Roman Catholic, she fit well in this mainstream gathering. Foster was second to speak... also a gentle spirit, a Quaker by affiliation. Unassuming, save a disclaimer of his mid-back length salt and pepper colored ponytailed hair. He has native American in his bloodline and grew his hair as a means of honoring part of his earthly heritage. I have similar bloodlines and have always had a strong affinity for the native American nations.

As with both Griffin and Foster, both fit well into the by-gone era of "Hippie-dom" as well as would the majority of those in attendance. The 20-30 year old demographic was obviously absent. My friend and I represented the "younger set," both in our early 40's. But I saw this as benefit for the amount of life experience in the room was palpable and I've grown to appreciate those who have more mileage on them than I.

What did I find at the feet of a hero? Difficult to quantify, I would suggest one of the important lessons for which I was reminded is that God is full of love and grace. Grace defined as "unmerited favor" (of course), but practically as "God working in us." God's grace affords us the opportunity and ability to experience that which is far beyond what we can do alone. How true! Listening to Foster, I gained the sense he only spoke of what God lead him to say... but there was much more "in the tank" that he did not feel "at liberty" to dispense at the moment.

So often I've attended conferences and the lead speakers present like a blasting fire hose and seem to empty their depth in one or two addresses. Foster gave only from the overflow -- only what God commissioned for the moment.

Foster confessed he'd spent an entire day in prayer over our time together shortly before his arrival to the conference. Offering a prayer over the audience at the close of the first night, he invited those to come forward for whom God had laid particular prayer needs on his heart. Not calling individuals by name, I still sensed he possessed a strong awareness of whom would come. It was a powerful time of prayer.

That was followed by a Julliard-trained worship leader who played an emotional rendition of It Is Well With My Soul on solo violin. Coming from a tradition that typically worships with words sans instruments, it was striking to have the opposite -- instrument sans words. Nonetheless, the "words," "my sin not in part, but the whole" struck my heart strings with crescendo as the strings were bowed. Not just the sins I think are worthy to be forgiven, but the WHOLE of them are "nailed to the cross and I bear them no more. Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!"

So much gained by only a few hours with a "hero" of faith, many more thoughts and observations than I could have anticipated and more than I should post here. The reaffirmation that spiritual formation is a process that simply takes time - and lots of it - simply can't be rushed. The power of being in Christian community with people whom previously one has never met was refreshing. The value of experiencing things different than what is accustomed was unifying. The reality that Foster's mother was a member of the same fellowship in which I have been raised gave the two of us an interesting connection. Shaking hands and exchanging words with a sincere follower of God who's own writings have indelibly shaped my spiritual walk was in a word, priceless!

Were my expectations fulfilled? Yes, fulfilled! It is blessed to sit at the feet of a "hero."

2 comments:

Brian Robertson said...

Christohper
From the North of Scotland I acknowledge your comments and say yes you are right and that renovare is a great work. I was at denver last year at the International conference. Awesome.
Brian Robertson

http://hilandpraise.blogspot.com

Christopher Green said...

I thank you for your post and anticipate future renovare conferences. Perhaps one day our paths will cross? Until then, enjoy God's grace and living a fulfilled life!