Monday, October 30, 2006

Another Man's Baby

The past several days I've been sitting with a friend's baby. It has been a long time since I've had the responsibility to care for another's. And when I have, it has only been for a few hours or maybe a day, but never for this long. We've been together for nearly a week now and that is something new for me.

As the day to take delivery arrived, I sensed a little anxiety welling in me. To care for something so precious for this period of time is a task from which many might shy away. But for me, and because of the trust my friend has put in me, I felt honored in the role.

In fact, before leaving town, he made it abundantly clear that I was the only one he would trust with his little beauty. Therefore, I feel honored indeed! I reassured him I would take care of her as if she were my own -- probably even better!

The day the carrier full of joy arrived, it was a cold, overcast and rainy day. I wanted to protect her from getting wet, but I forgot my umbrella. "Yeah," I thought self-critically. "We're off to a really great start, aren't we?" I chided myself. "Some babysitter you are!" I continued on.

Mind you, it is not that she couldn't handle the moisture, she is quite resilient. Yet, I wanted to show the care, concern and responsibility my friend knew I could provide. Though some rain got on her, I was quick on the draw with a fresh clean towel. "Good as new," I said as I wiped the last drop away. Surely she knew she was in good hands. Though unaccustomed to some things about her, I did feel a bond early on. I felt we'd soon be friends and neither of us were disappointed in that regard. What a fun time we've had together! A stroll around the neighborhood, we went shopping together and took a short drive on the Interstate. She was very well behaved every time we went out.

I noticed several people admire her while we were out. While I was proud of her as if she were mine, I was quick to say "... yeah, a friend of mine... beautiful, isn't she? Yes, he's quite proud of her!" was my response to admirers.

To take care of another's has inherent risks. What if I don't show the same care they do? What if I do something wrong? What if they judge the care I've shown as unfit? Would they ever trust me with something so valuable again? It can be a little stressful.

It makes me think of the role Jesus Christ has given to His followers to care for the church. It is a beloved child of the Father -- the "bride" of the Son. What a precious thing to care for and yet, people are so quick to criticize or even neglect her. Have we missed something of her value? Do we fail to see how incredibly diverse and yet unified she can be? It causes me deep concern when I think about it. Maybe we should stop taking care of it like it is ours, and begin taking care of it like it belongs to someone else? Would things change? Perhaps so!

Several days have passed and tomorrow the baby will be returning home into the arms of her beloved. I know he's excited to see her again. The couple of times he's called, I told him all about her and the special things I've done for her. "She's sparkling and radiant," I told him with confidence. She was sitting right in front of me the last time we talked, when I told him all about the fun we'd had while he's been gone. I wonder if he might even be a little jealous?

So, tomorrow I'll have to say, "Goodbye." I've wiped her down for the last time and filled her up with the best I could buy at the Tom Thumb and now... we wait for my trusting friend to return to pick up his "baby."

If I may speak quite frankly, she's not exactly the kind of baby I'd want for my own. She's a little slow to get going. Now, that may be because, in my humble opinion, she's a little on the chunky side even though she's only one year old. But... after spending a few days together, she's earned new respect in my eyes. I might like to have one just like her some day! My wife certainly enjoyed our time with her.

One of my babies has the same maker... so we'll just have to see if there is another "match made in heaven" out there somewhere. Who knows?

Never judge another man's "baby," until you've at least ridden a few miles in his saddle!

Welcome home my friend... nothing but open road ahead! Why don't we take our "babies" for a spin?

No comments: