Monday, October 23, 2006

Village Expressions and My Kid


The African proverb, while full of wisdom and truth, remains rather cliche for most. Rarely does one have the pleasure of witnessing the beauty of the truth first hand, in a singular moment in space and time. Tonight, I did. "It takes a village to raise a child."

My older daughter is finding her way in the world ironically on the stage of make-believe. Drama has captivated the imagination and talents of my first born sophomore starlet and tonight a local sandwich shop generously offered the drama department at our high school 50% of the receipts from 5 to 8pm. A kind gesture from a local business owner who is willing to "give back" to his (or her) "village." Village expression #1.

Arriving about 45 minutes later than I intended (rehearsal for Robin Hood ran late, making my not-yet-to-be-driving daughter totally dependent upon parental transportation), I walked into the shop delighted to see many of our friends from the drama department hanging out and eating dinner. It is nice when a village dines together -- telling stories of the day's adventures -- dreams of the future. Laughing and carrying on -- it is a beautiful thing. Village expression #2.

Generationally, the night was interesting to observe. Three generations of family sat and ate dinner at our table. I noticed several other families having the same familial dynamic mine shared. Kids, parents, grandparents, perhaps some aunts and uncles mixed in for fun. The director's parent's showed up with friends in tow. Former drama students now since graduated and moving on to professional theater opportunities came back and visited as well. A sense of giving back to the program that helped to make them what they are becoming. Village expression #3.

This afternoon, as almost something of an afterthought, I quickly sent out an email to about 50 coworkers, church leaders and friends I thought might be looking for a way to avoid cooking dinner tonight -- and help contribute 50% of their tab to the drama program. To my amazement many of those I contacted showed up to lend their support. One friend even got his meal to go and took it home, just to lend support to my daughter's interests. Village expression #4.

One of the families responding to my email petition by coming to dinner are especially dear to my heart. Their 10 month old son and I have this little thing going. I can't explain it, but there is some kind of connection there. Tonight, I was honored to gift him with his first cup of ice cream and even got to feed him a little of it. You've not seen funny until you've seen a 10-month-old kid with "brain freeze." His eyes told the whole story -- words not necessary! Hearing him screech when his mommy took a bite was priceless as well -- but again, 50% of the proceeds went to support my "little" girl who always seems to screech when I take a bite of her ice cream! Village expression #5.

For some, it may be simply a proverb bordering on the cliche. For me, it was a night well spent and I sincerely thank all my "village people" for helping to raise my kid.

Blessings to all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it!!!