Thursday, October 05, 2006

Squirrel School

On the ledge outside my office window, a "local" has been hanging out for some time now. Not of the homosapien genus, but more of the rodent order, he has my curiosity because he is not portraying typical squirrel-like behaviors. Not scurrying around, not defying gravity by hanging upside down, not clinging to the stuccoed walls, not flying from launching pad to landing strip, instead, he just sits. Quite contemplative is he with one paw slung over the edge of the ledge, chin resting flat, eyes half closed. He nearly lulls me to sleep just watching.

I have to wonder, what kind of night did he have last night? Was he up late like I was? Did a squirrel friend drop in and did they go for a late night snack at Chili's like we did? Like me, he's definitely a tired little buddy. I think I caught him with his eyes fully closed a second ago. At least he's safe from any predatory creatures up here. Even I couldn't get to him if I chose to -- our windows don't open. What a great life it must be being a squirrel -- though you've really got to watch crossing those streets. I see far too many of these speed demons meet their doom somewhere along the center stripe!

In the time I've occupied this office space (over a year, now), I've never seen one of my wall-climbing buddies hang out this long. Strange behavior for the little guy, indeed. I hope he's not ill! For someone typically so "busy" to slow down and take time to simply "be still" is strange enough, but others will find it stranger still. Imagine all the other squirrels running around looking way up here at the little "contemplative" up on the ledge. What must they be thinking?

Not sleeping well the past few nights, I hit "the wall" as I hit the floor this morning feeling exhausted. There is so much to be done -- pre-empted by an early breakfast -- I've been running "Mach II with my tail on fire" since before I hit the office door. There is no time today to sit and "be still." I've got too much to do rolling the wheel in my own squirrel cage! I've got to keep this thing going you know -- squeaking on every revolution -- the squeak helps me to know that I'm valid and important for goodness sake! You just gotta have the squeak! Faster... faster... faster!

Tired? Of course I'm tired. Fatigue is a badge of honor and a crammed schedule is competency exemplified in our culture, isn't it? What do you think Prof. Squirrel? Give me some instruction, please!

After what appears to be a cat nap (did someone say "cat?" Doesn't one know we don't use that word around these guys, it makes them nervous) moving to the end of the ledge... bright eyed and bushy tailed, Prof. Squirrel appears ready to go now. He's prepared to get on with the important squirrel business of the day. Rested and restored, he's a new squirrel for the relatively short time invested in rest and contemplation.

Looking back at me through the window, he is posed for a question. "What do you have for me today, sir?" I ask?

He seems to say, "Don't forget the value of time with your Creator. Slow down, even if it is in your nature to only go fast. Take the time, even if everyone else thinks you are strange for doing so. Realize the value of "being still" and simply "knowing..." for it is in the knowing you will realize you are truly known. You're a "squirrel" after all, not a machine." Take time to make time and you will find the time to fulfill your time.

I think I understand. Another lesson learned in "squirrel school." And now my instructor has moved on...

"Next student, please."

3 comments:

Liz Moore said...

It sounds like you might need to take the advice of your most recent instructor, lest you end up like the last instructor (squirrel) I saw... As road kill, flat as a pancake! “The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still." Exodus 14:14. I hope you and your family have a great and Relaxed weekend!

Christopher Green said...

Thank, Liz. I pray the same for you and your family as well.

Peace of Christ be with you.

Anonymous said...

Love it - Makes me want a window in my office!

Meg