Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Venti Philosophy


Sipping another Venti cup this morning, curiosity got the best of me. Why purchase a Venti, anyway? Is it a function of value? Is it evidence of a growing dependency on the bean? Is it veiled prestige? Why not a simple Grande or even a Tall? Frankly, if it isn't a hot Venti in my hand, somehow it feels like I've been jipped.

While trying to drive, sip and not spill on my shirt, I pull up next to a Hummer. Not the "mini me" versions H-2 and now H-3 mind you, but the original behemoth, H-1. Looking eye-to-hub level with their right front tire, I had to wonder, "Why?" Though it is raining today (something North Texas needs in desperate measure), I'm quite confident the urban princess behind the wheel will not be taking it off road today. "Does that vehicle ever get exercised to its full (amazing) off-road potential?" I wonder with a skeptics inquiry.

Are we Americans victimized by a "bigger is better" mentality? For some, the audacity of owning a Mini Cooper is unthinkable, unless of course it is for the shear novelty of it all. "Look at the cute little car," they'll say. Never acknowledging that Europeans have driven the Mini for half a century and consider it a quite viable means of transportation.

My curiosity wanders to acts of service as a follower of Christ. If "bigger is best," what values get swept away into the novelty of "mini" service? What Christ-like mercies are expeditiously dispensed as all too common place or perhaps just meaningless? A wave, a smile, a held door, a yield in traffic (even to the smaller vehicle -- today, the Hummer overtook my right-of-way and who am I to put up a mere 4-door-sedan's protest?)... do any of these mercies still have a place in being "salt" and "light" to a self-centered "bigger is best" world?

The Venti philosophy is all about what I want, that is the bottom line. I desire the larger cup, therefore I buy. Justified in my mind as the higher value -- but at what cost?

That will be $4.11 Christopher.

See you next time.

1 comment:

Greetings From Tucson said...

Perhaps your notion of the 'venti philosophy' extends beyond the Starbucks realm?
There is an interesting article in Fortune magazine on Costco, regarding consumer buying habits that can be read at this address: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2006/10/30/8391725/index.htm?postversion=2006102509 .
Another realm of the 'venti philosophy' - shopping at Costco. How does Costco know what we want to buy? Of course trying to stuff monthly Costco purchases, or a large television into a Mini Cooper would never work!
Perhaps the venti is more attractive because it is a better deal ounce for ounce? We Americans are always looking for the best "deal" in our capitalist economy, to the tune of being the largest consumer of natural resources and goods and services on the planet. Buy One Get One Free offers, clipping coupons, reward credit cards, happy hour, even an Executive Membership at Costco with an annual % return on spending, pulls us in to spend our money in search of a great deal.
You are right - the venti philosophy is selfish (all about me). How do we move that 'big-ness' into serving others and our Lord?