Friday, February 09, 2007

Artist in Finding


One of the most wonderful things about the kingdom of God is the occasional encounter with new people. Not new people to the world, though greeting newly arrived children in this world is a blessed event, but "finding" new people who have been on this earth as long (or longer) than you have but your paths just haven't previously crossed. Today I had one of those encounters.

A local Dallas artist was recommended to me for some work I am currently involved with and today I had the honor of meeting him for the first time. Being complete and total strangers, we had the typical "unknowns" to deal with prior to our meeting. I can't speak for him, but when I have a "scheduled meeting" with a complete stranger, my pulse always quickens and my blood pressure rises just a little before meeting them. From the moment I met David, I felt at ease and had that "sense" we'd known each other a long time.

The ease was not in previously knowing each other, but was in being previously "known" by the One who has saved us. There is such an incredible commonality for those who are devoted followers of Christ Jesus. It doesn't matter whether we've known each other before, the fact that we are "known" by Christ makes us brothers. Those bonds can form quickly if Jesus precedes the relationship. Today it felt He certainly did precede the introduction.

With the security of another of my friends joining us, we immediately began talking about our individual faith journeys and how God is currently moving in our lives. The conversation was filled with much energy and excitement for what God has done for each of us. I sat in wonder as each of us shared a little of how God has rescued us from our past and is being faithful in delivering our future.

A fellow musician (he plays bass), we hit it off quickly and felt comfortable enough to share lunch at a local cafe. It was a really cool day and maybe the beginning of a mutually blessed friendship. Only God knows what is around the next corner (if there even is a next corner), but as for today, I'm thankful for my new friend, a true artist in finding.

If you are interested in David's work, check it out here.

"By this all men will know you are my disciples,
if you love one another."
John 13:35

No comments: