Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Old Legs


The 2007 church softball league opened last night with every HOCC team winning except one. That team likely would have won, but they were playing an HOCC team! So, there you go!

With four full teams being fielded this year, there are scores of opportunity for the men of the church to fellowship and get hurt together (I've been injured more playing softball than any other athletic venture I've participated in - why they call that thing a "soft" ball, I'll never know)!

Last night, one HOCC team was a little short on their roster so another brother and I willingly "volunteered" to play on that team immediately following our victory in the 7:00 game. Running breathlessly off the first field (we ran a little over time), we hurriedly changed jerseys and ran out just as the second inning was starting.

Feeling well warmed up and (finally) "in the groove" (I was only 1 for 4 in the first game) I was ready to play and had a fairly good outing hitting 3 for 4 and contributing some defensively. It was fun to be on the field again. The last game I played was back in June of 2006, when I completely dislocated my right thumb sliding into third and had to have our shortstop "relocate" it in the dugout (I highly recommend always having a trained chiropractor on your team -- the benefits are priceless!!!). Needless to say, the rust was thick on me (especially with the bat), but I'm anticipating the timing to improve.

Next to playing in a band, their may not be any more fun a bunch of guys can have together than playing as a team on the ball field. Though we are all clearly a step (or two or three) slower than we were "back in the day," we still have a great time. And winning is always a lot better than losing! We won the second game 19 - 15.

The "fun" took on a slightly different tone this morning as I attempted to get out of bed. My old legs barely wanted to work and throughout the day today, my upper thighs and hamstrings have been singing a song much different than the rest of my physical being. Even considering myself in relatively good shape, last night was an extension of what my muscles are used to doing.

All this reminds me of something Jesus once told His disciples. Jesus had been praying in the Garden of Gethsemane and He had asked His followers to stay awake with Him. Though they were willing to do so, their bodies wouldn't cooperate. Jesus said, "The spirit is willing, but the body is weak" (Mark 14:38). The spirit of the apostles wanted to go the distance with Jesus, but their bodies had not been trained for that level of experience. They kept falling asleep on the Savior of the world!

If my old legs are any indication of where my spiritual body is, I'd say I have some catching up to do with regard to what I really want to achieve in Christ. While it may not hurt while on the field, the next morning is tough and will require a whole new level of training. I suppose the same can be said of our spiritual selves as well!

Lord, please help these "old legs."

No comments: