Wednesday, February 28, 2007

We Were So Close


For those who know me well, my love for music can not be hidden. If I don't think anyone is around (and sometimes even when I don't care if someone is around) , you'll catch me singing some lyric from somewhere because I seem to "always" have a song playing in my head. I have a love for everything from Classical to (even) HipHop. Jazz, country, opera can all move me in deeply meaningful ways. I simply love music. Period.

One of the things that always fascinates me about music and its creation are the titles of the songs. Last night on American Idol, one contestant sang a song known as "Geek In Pink." As I listened to the lyric, it was obvious to me where the name for the song originated. But what about those Jazz, Classical and "inbetweeners" that have really cool names like "Take 5" or "Birdland" or "Catharsis," where do those titles originate. There are no lyrics to give us clues!

Today, I came across a CD that I have always loved but had not listened to in years. David Foster's "The Symphony Sessions" is a wonderful collection of acoustic piano pieces with an accompanying symphony orchestra. Each cut on the CD is rich in musical quality. The writing, the orchestration, the performances and production are all of superb quality.

There is one song on this 1988 release (the tenth and final track) that always holds me in check. A lilting melody with a simple piano lead line, it is entitled "We Were So Close." I have no idea why it is called such, but even after hearing it countless times for nearly 20 years now, it still moves me to the depths of my musical soul. Surely something or someone quite powerful inspired its writing. It would be great if you could hear it, but then again, it might not move you as it does me. If you want to try click here.

There have been many occasions (and I'm not exaggerating) when I've literally been moved to tears by this simple 4 minute 12 second piano solo. There are no background instruments, no vocals, just David Foster and one beautiful piano.

I'm listening now, even as I write these lines, and the song just simply takes me to a beautiful place. A place where God and those I love are so incredibly "close" and it makes me wonder if it isn't something I have experienced in the past, but perhaps is something for which I have to look forward to happening.

I have known the Lord as what I would describe as "close." I feel as though I'm close now. But I do long, one day, to be "so close." I have loved people in ways that I would call "close," but I long to love them "so close" so that one day they will be able to say, "We were so close."

"Dear friends, now we are children of God,
and what we will be has not yet been made known.
But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him,
for we shall see him as he is."
(1 John 3:2)

Is there a song that moves you so deeply that you can hardly describe how you feel when you hear it?

If so, I'd like to know.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Hi Christopher,

As one fellow music-lover to another, I really enjoyed your blog. I listened to the audio clip, and it left me longing to hear more.

I have many songs that move me to the point of being unable to describe it...and at times it depends on my mood. But, the song that popped into my mind when you asked was a song entitled "Dream" by Eric and Leslie Ludy. The Ludy's wrote two books called When God Writes Your Love Story and When Dreams Come True (side note: I highly recommend them to your girls). "Dream" is on a CD they put out together full of songs about there journey as a couple. "Dream" is simply a song with the piano and Irish whistle. I can listen to it over and over and never tire of it. It takes me to a place that I cannot explain. I'd love to share it with you sometime. Thanks for your thoughts!

Christopher Green said...

I really appreciate you sharing your special song. Isn't the power of music, even music without lyric, amazing? I'd love to hear your song sometime because piano and Irish whistle is an instrumentation combo I really enjoy.

Thanks for the comment!!!