Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Adventures


I am currently finding myself about waist-deep in an ever unfolding adventure. Humbled to be participating in the first multi-site expression of church in the Churches of Christ, I'm finding very little to be unfolding as predicted. I love adventures, always have.

Ever since I was a little kid, I've preferred the "unknown." Given the opportunity to hear something, read something, experience something where the final "chapter" is unknown, I'll take it every time over the predictable. I've always been spontaneous and love "taking turns" at speed.

I have been known to simply "drop in" on my friends (much to the consternation of my wife) with little or no notice. This tendency likely has some genetic moorings that I'm now watching regenerate in at least one of my own children (the other is more like her mom... "let's be on time and spare me the surprises" would be her mantra).

One of my favorite things to do is to get on my motorcycle (preferably with another friend also on their motorcycle, though I have gone it alone), pick a navigational direction and just "go." For several days at a time with no idea for what we'll see, or what we'll eat or where we'll sleep or whatever. It has proven to be one of the most liberating experiences of my life and I'll likely keep doing it as long as I'm able.

Right now, ministry is like one of those trips. We're launching a new church site this coming Sunday and we have no idea how many people are going to show up for the first worship service in our new location or what to expect other than we will be gathered to lead people to a deeper walk with Christ.

We've extended the invitation to over 20,000 people (if they all show up, it will be a real adventure, for sure) and we are scurrying around making all the preparations so the day goes as smoothly as possible. However, building renovations won't be concluded and there will surely be some loose ends that we can't begin to even forecast. But I am confident God is going to show up in even greater force than those who come to worship Him and it will be an amazing time.

Isn't it great to follow the Creator who can build a universe out of "nothing?" Keep us in your prayers, we have no idea how wonderful this trip is going to be, but I can assure you, it will be exciting!

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous.
Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged,
for the Lord your God will be with you
wherever you go."
Joshua 1:9

1 comment:

Liz Moore said...

We are praying for you & Pam and the opening of the new campus. I can't wait to see what amazing things God does through that location and through you & Pam as you minister there. You will be greatly missed! But we will see you there on Sunday!