Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Wild Fire

Most people are quick to proclaim which element of their physical being for which they have little if any affinity. For some, they might declare it is their hips that could benefit from some renovation (now that I think of it, I don't believe I've ever heard a man complain about his hips). For others it might be their hair (and then I've heard a "mess" of men complain about their hair -- or typically the lack thereof). I am, however, most certain I've never heard anyone complain about their tongue. That is simply something you don't hear people talking about! "Eeewww... I hate my tongue," does not roll off the lips of body-conscious teenage girls. While hormonally-driven teenage boys who will brag all day about their biceps or "six-pack" abs will never be heard bragging about how awesome their tongue is (at least I'd hope not). It just doesn't happen (at least it shouldn't -- that'd be just a little too weird).

Perhaps this explains the relative lack of maintenance the human tongue receives. Do you brush your tongue with regularity (kind of a personal question, I know)? My dentist told me long ago vigorously brushing of the tongue was a way of preventing what he determined as "unsightly breath." (Now, I'm still trying to figure out just how "unsightly breath" would smell and it seems to me that if one's breath has deteriorated to the point of being even "sightly" (let alone "unsightly") it would likely be time to consider a new oral hygiene regimen).

I've always had a unique relationship with my tongue. I recall wiling away hours in school, training my tongue to do various "tricks." The standard "nose touch" and the typically routine "half-pipe" roll was an early accomplishment along with the "barrel-rolls" both to the right and to the left. After some practice, I got to the point of being able to fold my tongue over backwards, sticking it "front over back" (think taco laying on its side, long edge facing you) and keeping it there for as long as I pleased. This won the acclaim of many grade school counterparts. I was one of only two kids in my entire school whom I knew could even come close to that trick. My crowing achievement in "tongue tricks arena" however was when I was in graduate school. Suffering from a serious sinus infection, one day I was scratching the back of my throat with my tongue when I accidentally swallowed my whole tongue (while driving a car I might add). Instantly I began gasping for breath, thinking this would be an inexplicable way to die! I could hear the officers asking my wife, "Just how long was he epileptic?" and her replying, "I don't know, he never shared that fact with me!"

Shocked nearly beyond recovery at the time, I finally had the presence of mind to reach my own finger back into my throat and boldly "rescue" myself. I thought, "I really have heard of people dying from this!" So... I did the most logical thing a 22-year-old guy would do and.... I did it again, only intentionally this time! Within a week, I could swallow my tongue (without the instinctive gag reflex kicking in) at will. What fun, I thought! Dry graduate school lectures would never be the same!!! I had another "trick" in the repertoire! Throughout the years since, it has served as a great "party gag" and in particular social settings I could have probably earned some extra spending money with that tongue trick -- which isn't really my point.

While I've spent years being aware of what "tricks" my physical tongue can accomplish, I'll confess I've not always appreciated the harm it can render as well. What mighty "fires" can be started by the "spark" of the tongue (see James 3:1-13).

When I think of the power of the human tongue it is surprising to me it doesn't get the attention it deserves. These days, both men and women pierce their tongues for various "decorator purposes." While people will install all kinds of interesting implements in their tongues, I wonder if we humans are equally aware of how "disguised" our tongues can be. The subtle veils of deception our tongues will garner often betray the true heart within. We may speak with "designer" tongues, but the language is as impostor as fake jewels.

Lately I've been working on my tongue, not to accomplish any more tricks, but merely trying to make it more presentable in the image of the Savior to whom I try to devote my days and nights. Consistency, accuracy, sensitivity, leniency are all things with which I'm trying to tame my tongue. If I get those things figured out, maybe my tongue will be more presentable and I won't have to rely on the "tricks" anymore.

How about you? How are you working on your tongue? If you are working on it, what are you discovering?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I’m trying to learn to focus my words on the positive rather than the negative, especially when speaking about one relationship which has its share of challenging interactions. I know words have power, so, while not hiding my head in the sand, I want to repeat the good things and give less power (and air time) to the bad reports.

I used to protect this person from the negative consequences of his poor behavior by keeping it a secret from everyone. I don’t keep those secrets anymore, but now I want to focus on speaking positive things. Godly wisdom is needed to find this balance—it’s hard!