Thursday, July 19, 2007

Culture of Abundance


Much is often said of the abundance in our culture. Fortunate or not, we find ourselves living in the wealthiest nation in the world at what is arguably the height of its riches. Sociologists make much of the ever increasing distance between the wealthy and poor and that this distance will ultimately be the downfall of our "success." I don't know what to make of such things, though it seems plausible when I consider how abundance influences my own life.

Earlier today, I continued pondering the expanse of my own abundance. Yesterday, I began culling through my closet of clothes because I simply can't stand the thought any longer of having so much and consistently wearing so little (not that I wear "skimpy" clothes, but I tend to wear the same things with frequency). So, I'm planning on donating a bunch of clothes to our local benevolence ministry.

The ironic thing in this great culture of abundance is considering the things I lack. The things I lack are not of a material nature, but are rather things like the discipline to spend even more time in quiet reflection before the Lord. Things like taking the time to call my sister more often and catch up on her life. Things like stopping long enough to watch birds bathe themselves in puddles (or take dirt "baths" in piles of loose dirt -- that's always been a mystery to me as to why they do that -- there is nothing about a dirt bath that I find inviting).

I suppose my problem with the whole thing is that I live as though there will always be "enough" of everything in my life -- a culture of abundance. For example, I tend to live like there will always be time to do these things I mentioned I don't seem to have "enough" time to do. I try to be disciplined with my time and maximize the effort I invest in my life, but perhaps the culture of abundance deceives me. Maybe there is a better way...

To think of time as a precious commodity... rather than one of abundance, makes me wonder how my life would change (I realize this cognitively, but emotionally and spiritually there are new depths to plumb). Would I become even more "possessive" of my time and treat people or projects with disrespect if I didn't deem them "worthy" of my time? Would I become even more liberal with my time and allow for even more intrusion than I do now? I don't know. But it seems to me there must be a better balance in there, somewhere. Don't you think?

What are your thoughts about our "culture of abundance" and how do you think it influences our life? I'm curious to know your thoughts.

How about taking a little time, giving it a little thought and then sharing what you discover about it? If you have the time... of course.

2 comments:

Greetings From Tucson said...

I read a short piece a few weeks ago about a man who received $57,600 dollars every day. The funds could be spent in any manner – on himself, his family, the needy, his job, whatever he desired; but, at the end of the day, whatever was not spent could not carry over to the next day. Also, the money could not be saved and then used for another time when $57,600 was not enough for one day.

Unless you are Oprah or Bill Gates, thinking of how one could spend $57,600 every day is mind-boggling. The possibilities from a materialistic standpoint are fun to consider, as are the thoughts of what this type of money could do to help those in need.

Consider this – and this was the point of the article – there are 24 hours in every day. Subtracting 8 hours for sleep, there remains 57,600 seconds in a day. They are spent every day no matter how they are used; they can’t be saved or held over for another day.

How will you spend your day?
Sandy

PS: We have a new ‘rule’ in our house – one in, one out. If one of us want to buy something, say a new piece of clothing, something like it has to be eliminated. It really helps to keep the closets clean, and brings to mind when shopping, “do I really need this?”

Christopher Green said...

S --

Thanks for taking the time to participate and share your thoughts. I like the concept of "one in, one out" but this would likely mean I would have to be less "emotionally tied" to some of my favorite shirts. That might get tough!!!