Monday, July 16, 2007

Distance


Even casual or recreational writing is a demanding discipline. Time, energy, attention are stern taskmasters and must be respected and heeded appropriately. What is there to say when one refuses to submit the time, energy and attention to accomplish the task? Best to keep quiet, I suppose.

June 9 was the last date of entry to my blog. Obsessively moved at times by many things in my life, blogging had become one and yet I found myself growing scattered, weary and taxed for the time to devote to it. I also found myself drifting as with what words to choose. A hiatus was therefore in order.

If there were any who read this blog with frequency, my hunch is they have since moved on. If you are one of those and happen to find yourself returning to this particular entry, I apologize for the unexcused absence. Perhaps this cliche may suffice, "absence makes the heart grow fonder." I would want this to be the case, at least.

Some distance from the discipline of writing I believe has refreshed me. Who would want to read something of someone who feels as if they have little of nothing to say? Frequently, I read others who seem to write simply because they have to not because it is something which flows from within them. I have at times allowed my blogging to take time from my wife and children and even if there was content worth considering (and I hesitate to suggest there really was), at what price should it come? I have to wonder.

The distance over the past few weeks has been blessed. I'm prayerfully considering wading back into the blog water again. There are fascinating things happening in the world around me and perhaps these will stoke the flame to write a bit more. It is with anticipation the content will merit the return.

Thank you for reading. I'm humbled by your presence.

Peace be with you.

6 comments:

happytheman said...

Good to hear from you my friend.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back. I always enjoy reading your thoughts.
Blessings

Liz Moore said...

I am one of those whose frequents your blog, but I never moved on. Just kept checking back, because I knew when the time was right, and God placed something on your heart that needed to be said, you would return. Welcome back! You have been missed!

Christopher Green said...

Thanks to you both for the welcome back.

Anonymous said...

I just kept checking back as well, knowing that you would come back to us before long.

john alan turner said...

Welcome back, my friend. I was just about to send out a search party.