Sunday, July 22, 2007

Simple Things

Thinking back over my years thus far I have to confess I've been quite fortunate. So many incredible blessings beyond counting have been mine and still I'm amazed by the things I experience every day.

I've been fortunate to sit at the feet of some incredibly talented and well-known (famous) people, I've seen some amazing things and traveled to locations some will only see on the pages of magazines (though there is still so much more I want to see and experience) and still I remain staggeringly amazed by the "simple" things.

I have found it is not the famous, the picturesque or the exotic in life that finds its deepest meaning for me, but rather it is in the simple. Catching the eye and the smile of a 5 month old child during the last song of today's worship, noticing the grandeur of an old oak tree, or simply taking a walk around the neighborhood. Sometimes the most "amazing" experiences are found in the "simple" things.

What will that little 5 month old boy become one day (I prayed he already feels the power of God's presence in his life)? How long has that old oak tree been growing next to the freeway exit (I guarantee it has been there much longer than the freeway)? How many crickets, frogs and birds are contributing to nature's chorus in my own backyard (listen closely to their music, it is magnificent)? Simply amazing, really.

If you are willing, look for the "simple" things and share what you experience over the next few days.

No comments: